Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1672 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - Sad Lameness, help please!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Traveling with Chance Old Timers joecast40 4 Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:10 pm
Itching and scratching Pug Patter sweetie 6 Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:33 am
joecast40 View latest post
Strawberry bump on lip Help! My Pug is . . . dvdchrisc 7 Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:24 am
Pug Having Seizures Help! My Pug is . . . lucygirl 3 Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:21 am
5 month old just ate a hair grip Old Timers PretzelThePug 2 Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:19 am

Sad Lameness, help please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> Help! My Pug is . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricardo71
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:49 pm Post subject: Sad Lameness, help please! Reply with quote

Hi, I have a 7 years old male pug named Poncho. About one month ago he started limping. I took him to the vet and he discarded pads troubles, like thorns or injuries. He said the lameness is located on the front right leg. He prescribed a glucosamine and chondroitin suplement and an antiinflamatory. 20 days has passed and the trouble remains the same. The vet told me that is possible to make MRI and try to surgery the shoulder, but the risks to damage more is high. Watch him limping break my heart. I must to say he has a little overweight. How can I help him?. ┬┐Has anybody had this kind of trouble?. Thanks in advance for your answers.
allyzabethe
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:52 am Post subject: Re: Sad Lameness, help please! Reply with quote

Weight loss helps just about everything. But it's hard to help them lose weight when exercise is an issue. I would start cutting back on his food or replace portions of it with green beans and apples. For example, let's say he gets a cup of food a day. Hopefully, you are measuring it and leveling it off. Even a few extra pieces of kibble a day adds up. What you can do is replace 1/4 cup of the kibble with green beans or apples. You can cook the green beans, steaming is great, then chop them up. You don't have to cook the apple. You don't want to take too much of the kibble away, but depending on how overweight he is, you could substitute 1/4 to 1/2 cup. At least until he gets to his optimum weight.

As far as his limping, did the vet do any x-rays or anything diagnostic? Why did he go for surgery right away? I personally would get a second opinion. If it's non-surgical, then you could also consult a vet that does acupuncture too. It has done wonders for my Isabelle's arthritis. I would definitely try to find out exactly what is wrong before you have surgery performed.

Good luck and keep us posted.
_____
Check out my blog at
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Y'all come and see us!
ricardo71
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:14 am Post subject: Re: Sad Lameness, help please! Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your answer. I have an extra issue with the feeding. He has to eat an special non-struvite urinary tract health food (U/D Hills). I almost lost him for a struvite calculus trouble. I mixed the dry food with a little lean chicken breast. The vet told me the only way to keep him calculus free is changing the feeding. The vet discarded the x-ray because the trouble seems to be related to joints rather than bones. The acupuncture sounds great but in my country is hard to find. I'd like to use a low fat food but I'm afraid the calculus return. With the overweight plus the lameness the workout is not a good choise by the moment.
allyzabethe
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:11 am Post subject: Re: Sad Lameness, help please! Reply with quote

Ricardo, I am sorry to hear about the stones. That does complicate things. You can reduce the amount of prescription food though. Even just a little can help.
The glucosamine and chondroitin can take a few months to work so give it more time. If you don't see any improvements in 3 months, then maybe consider stopping it.
If you let me know where you are, I will see if I can find anyone that might help you. The internet is an awesome place and I have made friends all over the world.
And you may be able to help him exercise with swimming. If you don't have access to a pool or water, you could get a deep tub or use a deep bathtub. Swimming is easier on the joints than walking, especially when the dog is overweight. You just need something deep enough where he can't touch the bottom and has to swim a little. Do a few minutes a day to build up stamina and start to see some weight loss.
Good luck.
_____
Check out my blog at
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Y'all come and see us!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  Help! My Pug is . . . Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: