Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1391 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - Vomiting, Lethargic, Shivering
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Allergies Help! My Pug is . . . dphiebeatle 12 Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:41 am
Adorable pug shirt to help a rescue Merchandise For Sale ShanaDoll 0 Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:17 pm
ShanaDoll View latest post
Corneal laceration Pug Patter afdani1984 6 Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:01 pm
PugsCom View latest post
Hemivertebrae Help! My Pug is . . . Alex88 3 Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:01 am
afdani1984 View latest post
Pug has neurological issues... Advice needed please!! Help! My Pug is . . . Dawson9a 11 Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:40 am
afdani1984 View latest post

Vomiting, Lethargic, Shivering

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> Help! My Pug is . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamroc374
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:48 pm Post subject: Vomiting, Lethargic, Shivering Reply with quote

I have three pugs; Ling Ling is 8 and is the mother of my other two pugs, Gizmo who is 7 and Bud who is 5.  Ling Ling and Gizmo have allergies, but Bud has always been very healthy.  Yesterday I came home and saw Bud lying in his bed.  Next to his bed was a big puddle of water.  At first I thought it was pee and I asked him why he would pee by his bed and then lay next to it.  He did not get excited or move at all.  I bent over to pick him up so I could clean up the mess and wash his bed.  His whole bed was wet and so was he.  I smelt him, the bed, and the puddle and it was not pee.  I finally realized he had thrown up.  I put him down to clean it up and he was shivering and was very unsteady on his hind legs.  I wiped him down and wrapped him in a blanket.  I monitored him for a while and he kept shivering and became more lethargic.  I took his temp and it was 102.5.  I started given him a teaspoon of water every 15 minutes a few hours later. He took the water and perked up.  About an hour later he started throwing up again and shivering.  We repeated this process for a little while.  I planned on taking him to the vet as soon as they opened this morning at 7:30.  Around 4:30 this morning I lay beside him on the couch and took short naps, waking and checking on him every 15-20 minutes.  At 6:30 when I woke up, he was not next to me on the couch anymore.  He was not even in the living room.  I searched the house and he was not there.  We have a doggy door but I did not think he would go out because he could not walk more than a few feet the night before. We finally looked outside and he was lying behind the AC unit.  He did not respond when we called, ad when we found him he did not respond to us at all.  We brought him in and placed him on the couch to get ready to go to the vet.  The vet thought he had a gastric virus but wanted to keep him until tomorrow to monitor him, run tests, and give fluids.  We left him there and about an hour later the vet called.  He said that all the tests were normal but he thought Bud was having kidney failure.  He asked me if Bud could have gotten into some antifreeze.  I told him that we do not have any antifreeze at my house and my dogs stay inside, and they only go out in the back yard which has a very high privacy fence.  He said that maybe Bud just had kidney problems and they are just now showing.  He said he would give him treatment overnight and we will see if he responds.  He said that if he doesn't respond we may have to consider euthanizing him.  I am so sad and I can't stop crying.  How can my baby be so healthy and active and then out of no where be in kidney failure?
shamroc374
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:58 pm Post subject: Re: Vomiting, Lethargic, Shivering Reply with quote

I just talked to the vet and they said that it is still too early to tell if the treatment is working, but he has seemed to perk up some and is responding to the treatment so that is a good sign.
allyzabethe
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:23 pm Post subject: Re: Vomiting, Lethargic, Shivering Reply with quote

I am so sorry you both are going through this. I wouldn't rule out antifreeze poisoning. We had an incident a little south of here where someone was throwing antifreeze laced meat into a person's yard. It happened twice to the same family.

Hopefully the treatment will work and he will be just fine. If your vet does think it's antifreeze, consider filing a police report. You may not catch the person doing it, but you should report it. And warn your neighbors, too.

You may also want to consider restricting access to the outdoors unless you are out with them. I have found all kinds of bones in my yard, some of which I think my previous neighbors threw over, some of which were carried by stray cats or birds. My pugs will eat anything so if I weren't watching them, they could easily eat something.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
_____
Check out my blog at
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Y'all come and see us!
pugpug1
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:44 pm Post subject: Re: Vomiting, Lethargic, Shivering Reply with quote

Sending lots of pug hugs and prayers!!!
shamroc374
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:56 pm Post subject: Re: Vomiting, Lethargic, Shivering Reply with quote

I decided to lock the doggy door and told my sons that the pugs cannot go out alone anymore.  I told them that if Bud did get poisoned it could still be out there and I do not want the other ones to get into it.  My other 2 pugs are very picky about what they eat, and Bud will eat anything.  If there is something bad, he would be the one that would eat it.  We went to the animal hospital and not our normal vet today since it is Sunday and our normal vet is closed.  I have never met the vet before and I am not so sure if I like him.  He speaks in a monotone voice so it was hard to determine how he is.  He may actually speak in a normal tone but I felt it was monotone since I am distraught and did not feel like he was compassionate enough.  When he first called and asked about the antifreeze I told that if Bud did get antifreeze then somebody would have had to go to my backyard and poison him on purpose.  He said that was unlikely. When he said it, I almost felt like he thought I was an idiot making an idiotic statement, again I may be overly sensitive.  When I called the vet office this afternoon they told me that a different vet will be in tonight and will call me tomorrow morning.  I hope he is more compassionate, and they communicate well with each other to give Bud the best consistent care.  My other 2 pugs are kind of lost and wondering around.  They keep looking at me with that head tilt, almost like they are asking where he is.  I think they think I have locked Bud outside since he is not inside and the doggy door is locked.  If the vets do decide that he has antifreeze poisoning I am going to inform my neighbors ad send a letter to the president of the home owners association to post on the website and put in the newsletter.  My husband is waiting for our neighbor to get home to see if he has treated his yard recently and Bud may have reacted to it.  My sister is y other neighbor and my son and husband do her yard so we know she hasn't done anything new.  Thank you for replying to me, I will keep you updated on him.
allyzabethe
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:44 pm Post subject: Re: Vomiting, Lethargic, Shivering Reply with quote

The vet may have been distant. I know that some vet and human medical folks seem very distant and not compassionate, but it's their defense against falling apart. I think emergency vets probably see the worst cases of injuries, and it may be that they put up that cold face so they can survive. I recently had an emergency visit with my cat, and my tears made the vet tech burst into tears, too. That kind of emotional toll just can't go on for people every day so I wouldn't be too put off by a cold seeming vet.

That said, always go with your gut. The case near me happened in rural North Carolina. It can happen anywhere.
_____
Check out my blog at
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Y'all come and see us!
Jebs
Puggish
Puggish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:11 pm Post subject: Re: Vomiting, Lethargic, Shivering Reply with quote

How is Bud??  and I agree with Allyzabethe.  I'm in Canada, I live in a nice little city...  we rarely have incidents here, and we never hear of poisoning... ~ until recently....  all of a sudden, we have a cat poison'er in the neighborhood.  We live in a VERY pet friendly area.  It's a no brain'er for any of us to not just watch out for kids but to watch out for pets, too.  So this is a very new situation for many, many of us...  no one knows if it's only cats, thus far... but there are posters on every post, and cork board around, the posters list closest vet to that local area, tel # and emergency contacts, some of those emergency contacts are us regular neighbors ~ just in case.... and.... we're doing a neighborhood watch program, a pet friendly one :-)

good luck, oh how I hope Bud is doing better.
_____
From: Deb who's owned by her little Bugger-Boy, Henry!! Smile
<a>Photobucket</a>
shamroc374
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:04 pm Post subject: Re: Vomiting, Lethargic, Shivering Reply with quote

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond.  Bud is home and he is doing better.  He was able to come home last night.  Yesterday around 8am I called the vet to see how he was doing.  She was very worried about him because he was being so quite and seemed depressed.  I explained to her that he is a very quite dog and is very co-dependant.  He is always with one of my other pugs or with him.  He prefers not to be alone and he is a follower.  She decided that she would offer him food around noon and see how he does,  She said that if he did not eat she wanted to do more extensive blood work and x-rays.  I called at 12:30 to see how he was and she said that he ate and perked up, and had not vomited.  She wanted to give him another IV fluid and wanted me to call back at 5:00 to see if I could pick him up at 6:00.  I called at 5:00and she said he could come home.  When I got there she said that she was very worried at first but after watching him she realized that he just had a calm, quite personality.  She put him on a low fat diet and antibiotics.  He can only eat 1/4 can of prescription dogs food twice a day. She also said that when he returns to normal she wants to treat him for hypothyroidism. She also wants him to rest and not get excited for a week.  I asked her about the kidney failure and what caused him to get so sick.  She said that he is not showing any signs of kidney failure.  She thinks he just has a gastro bug and was very dehydrated.  I told her that the first vet we saw said he was not dehydrated and I thought he was wrong because I checked him for dehydration and he showed all the signs.  I am glad we got the second vet because she was much more caring and she observed him more and ran additional tests to rule out kidney failure and the first doctor did not. The hypothyroidism explains his weight.  I have always wondered why he was so big and my other two are so small.  He is home and is doing very good.  I am having a hard time keeping him separated from my other 2 pugs.  They are a pack and spend every minute together.  They have been very good with him and have remained calm around him for the most part.  They did get a little excited last night and tried to play with him so I put him on the bed in the bedroom and closed the door.  He does not like the diet or the small amount of food.  The food taste good to him but he wants more, and he keeps looking for his bowl with his regular food in it.  I know he isn't out of the woods yet and we have arranged for someone to be with him at all times in case he needs to be rushed to the vet.  I am so happy he is home and he is definitely being pampered.  My husband says that he is going to play being sick when he is better just to get all the extra pampering again. LOL Thank you all for listening to me and offering advice.
shamroc374
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:32 pm Post subject: Re: Vomiting, Lethargic, Shivering Reply with quote

I have two questions, 1. My cat is suppose to be an indoor cat but she loves being outside. She is used to coming and going through the doggy door but since I have closed it off she is at our mercy of coming in and going out.  She is not happy about this at all and she has been expressing her anger.  She thinks she is a pug. We rescued her from a cat rescue when she was 8 weeks old.  We brought her home and put her with the pugs so she has not had any contact from with any cats other than when she was at the rescue.  Since she is mad about losing her freedom to come and go as she pleases, she is taking it out on the pugs.  She is jumping on them and yelling at them.  How can I stop her?  My second question is about my middle pug, he suffers from middle child syndrome. He always tries to get in the way if you are talking, bathing, or playing with the other pugs.  Ever since we have brought Bud home from the vet he has been acting like his back leg is hurt.  He is not in any pain and I can move it without him reacting.  He walks around and holds the back leg up like it is hurt.  He does not do this all the time just when we are pampering Bud.  Do you have any pugs that do this or are attention seekers?
pugpug1
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:40 am Post subject: Re: Vomiting, Lethargic, Shivering Reply with quote

I'm so glad he's home and do better!!!!  Happy
sweetie
Tail Chaser
Tail Chaser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:50 pm Post subject: Re: Vomiting, Lethargic, Shivering Reply with quote

I am glad Bud is home and that he is doing better, I am not sure what to do about the cat but I had a cocker spaniel that would lift his front paw and walk around like it was hurt to get attention, then when he thought no one was watching he would put it down and walk normal.  I would give your pug a little extra attention, I think he is feeling insecure and confused and maybe a bit jealous.  With my Ranger a "Oh you poor baby are you hurt" and a few hugs and scratches usually did the trick.  Good luck!
Jebs
Puggish
Puggish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:53 pm Post subject: Re: Vomiting, Lethargic, Shivering Reply with quote

I agree with Sweetie for the extra attention.  We have 3 cats (Mya, Patches and Bella), and we have two dogs: Pookey, pekingese, and Henry, my pug :-)

Mya grew up with Henry, she and he came home at the same age and only 3 weeks between each other, so from 3 months on.... they are now both 5... they've been raised as brother and sister.  Pookey, who also always grew up with cats, accepted Mya straight away and a week later was best friends with Henry too....  My Mom, passed away, unexpectedly this past January.  We were prepping to bring in another pug (I want a house full of them) but with her passing, we took in her two cats (Patches and Bella).  the two have integrated fairly well....  Patches not as much, she's the odd ball out... but Bella and Mya get along, and those two cats and the two dogs now ALL play together.  From time to time I see either Pookey's nose is out or  Mya's. What I do is I take one of them into a room with me (my husband does this too) for about 5 to 10 minutes, and give them pure adoration, loving attention.  Each one gets all of me for that little bit.  Then when I bring them back to the pack (no other way to say that...) I make it sound almost exciting (not play exciting since I don't want to invoke fighting....) but a happy moment and everyone attending the pack gets some attention and then off I go with another one for that 5 to 10 min and repeat, repeat... and on the last round, I give the one who's nose was out of joint another 2 to 3 min of just us with cuddles or something she/he likes best.

An animal behaviorist had given us this "prescription" as I was already dealing with so much with Mom's passing (I'm an only child and got blind sided by this and missing her, etc) I was very lost and scared and well a whole slew of things, really....  it was when I saw Pookey, and her behavior; like she was lost, sad and had started sniping others in the pack ~NOT like her at all!! ~ that's when I had a break down ~ she is the eldest and has been with me since 2 months old.... she's 9 now, this was a lot for her.  She also loved her Nana, so I think there was a bit of that too, we had a regular routine.  Mom and I car pooled to work and back, we shopped together, she was my best friend, and adored Pookey and bestowed on her all the time, love and attention... Mom babysat Pookey often and Pookey loved "going to Nana's" almost as much as when I said car ride.  Anyway, it was then that I did lose it for a day or so....and my dear, dear husband was also lost....  As fate would have it, a friend of mine called up wondering where the hell I'd been....  See I volunteer at a local rescue.  I hadn't been in for a while, nor had contacted them, and had not responded to her emails...NOT my normal behavior either, lol. So my husband informed her of what had happened in my life.  He also shared with her the two cats we had adopted from Mom.  She started asking him how our three were behaving with all this, especially Pookey as Pookey and my Mom were exceptionally close ~ weird since they didn't live together but yet due our routines not all that surprising either, it was rather endearing. Anyway so Jay shared with her that Pookey was not eating, she had started snipping, etc...  Michelle she came to both mine and Pookey's rescue, with this 'prescription', and from time to time I still do it since there are 5 animals in the house and we can get busy... they love this private time, absolutely love it. As do I ~ oh I just love that time!!  It helped heal me too. :-)

As for the cat, in my experience you simply need to manage the cat with the dogs to avoid injury, and let the cat voice it's anger and opinion ~ it will quiet down over some time.   However if someone has a better idea, I'd be interested, lol ~ I think my Mom let Bella out from time to time.... she does this at the door sometimes, drives us nuts... lol, but nothing from the vet, the rescue or on-line tells me anything other then to ride the storm.... lol

I am soooo happy to hear that Bud is home and doing better, that's great news! Smile
_____
From: Deb who's owned by her little Bugger-Boy, Henry!! Smile
<a>Photobucket</a>
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  Help! My Pug is . . . Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: