Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1425 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - Pugs inside dogs? teaching them to pee
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
My Pug has a medium sized zit on her outer area of the vulva Help! My Pug is . . . gbrodgers 4 Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:57 am
gbrodgers View latest post
Please Help Winston Walk Pug Patter Winniewiggle 1 Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:31 pm
Pug Having Seizures Help! My Pug is . . . lucygirl 1 Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:21 pm
Strawberry bump on lip Help! My Pug is . . . dvdchrisc 4 Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:16 pm
Looking for less expensive medication Old Timers BUDDA65 3 Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:34 pm

Pugs inside dogs? teaching them to pee

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> No Pug Yet - But Plenty of Questions!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doggy1214
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:12 am Post subject: Pugs inside dogs? teaching them to pee Reply with quote

I just acquired two cute pugs. They just turned 4 two weeks ago. The previous owners kept them outside all the time. We barely have a yard so we must keep them inside. The problem is they are not house broken and pee all over the place. My question is, can pugs get sick being outside? I feel bad leaving them out in the cold. What is the best method for teaching pugs to go to the bathroom outside.
tubby3pug
Snarfler
Snarfler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:34 am Post subject: Re: Pugs inside dogs? teaching them to pee Reply with quote

Absolutely they must be indoor dogs.  Research crate training and housebreaking strategies for older dogs.
Doggy1214
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:55 pm Post subject: Re: Pugs inside dogs? teaching them to pee Reply with quote

What about bathing a pug?
allyzabethe
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:12 am Post subject: Re: Pugs inside dogs? teaching them to pee Reply with quote

Thanks for rescuing these little guys.
Absolutely, they are inside dogs, no matter what the weather. The shortened nose means that they can't cool down like other dogs. Being overweight makes it harder to cool down, too.
I don't know where you are, but in the northern hemisphere, it's starting to get cool. They can't take too much cool weather, either.

As for potty training older dogs, you do have a challenge on your hands. I would treat them like they were puppies. At the top of the page on the left side, you'll see a content section. Check through there, especially the Pug FAQ section for potty training.

The basics are
Set them up for success. Meaning that you don't leave them alone in the house for 10 hours and not expect them to pee inside.

Praise praise praise when they do it where you want them to. I also use cheerios as training treats. They don't have to be refrigerated and they are low calorie, low fat. You may think it's crazy, but get really excited and happy when they potty outside. Try to teach them a cue word like potty. When they start to go, say potty (or whatever your word is) so they associate the action with the word. They will learn that word so when you say, let's go potty they know what that means.

While they are inside the house, do not leave them alone. Watch them constantly. When they start to sniff, snatch them up and go outside. Say potty outside, etc. Treat and praise, even if they only go a drop outside. If they wander off to pee, use baby gates or long leashes tied to you.

Try crate training or restricting them to a room. Some people will take a laundry room or bathroom and secure the dogs in their. You can use potty pads which many dogs pick up on quickly. With a crate, you will want to get one that is big enough for them to stand up and turn around, but no bigger. The theory is that dogs won't potty where they sleep/eat. Some dogs pick up on this quickly and learn right away to hold it.

However, don't try crate training and leave them for hours and hours right away. Give them a break about 4 hours in. Hopefully someone can come home at lunch if everyone is at work.

Pugs are special little dogs, so if you've never had pugs or dogs before, you are in for some surprises and so much happiness. I would get a book on pugs specifically because there are some health and hygiene issues that you need to know about (cleaning wrinkles, caring for eyes, etc.) We have lots of information on this site, too. I just like having a book to refer to.

I would also contact your local pug rescue and/or pug meet up group. These people are a great resource for information on pugs. Good vets, feeding tips, etc. We have an active pug meet up here and we all share information and tips.

And if you haven't yet, get them checked out by a vet. Living outside, they more than likely have parasites and fleas and who knows what else. Find a good vet that has experience with pugs or bulldogs or similar type breeds (brachycephalic) and ask them a million questions.

Bathing is up to you and the pug. My girls don't get many baths unless they are visibly dirty. They don't get stinky like some dogs do. And my two younger girls have sensitive skin so I don't like to dry their skin out with bathing.
But if your dog needs it, do it. I know of some dogs who get bathed once a month or more with no problems. If your dogs do have fleas, our SPCA uses Pert Plus and it kills them. That way you don't have to deal with the chemical shampoo. If you are bathing a lot because of smell, consider changing their food. Nutrition has a whole lot to do with skin, coat and that doggy smell.

Good luck and hope to see you around the forums!
_____
Check out my blog at
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Y'all come and see us!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  No Pug Yet - But Plenty of Questions! Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: