Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1583 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - Question - doggie diapers or belly band?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am
allyzabethe View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
crusty nose Old Timers Ginapub 8 Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:26 pm
Rumples View latest post
5 month old just ate a hair grip Old Timers PretzelThePug 1 Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:16 pm
Rumples View latest post
Traveling with Chance Old Timers joecast40 2 Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:11 am
joecast40 View latest post
Fold out my pug is blind due to diabetes Help! My Pug is . . . galeg 4 Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:05 am
joecast40 View latest post
Pug Having Seizures Help! My Pug is . . . lucygirl 2 Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:20 am
Lolasmygirlie View latest post

Question - doggie diapers or belly band?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> Old Timers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeausMama
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:54 pm Post subject: Question - doggie diapers or belly band? Reply with quote

Beau is a 13-1/2 year old male, and after a bout with heat related issues, finding a tumor in the heart area, AND finding a UTI (whew) he is now incontinent. I know as a geriatric people nurse, incontinence can be a result of the UTI.

My question is: which works better, the diapers or the belly band? I'm using diapers right now, (since hubby cleaned up one too many piddle puddles- funny it wasn't an issue when I cleaned up the puddles!) but I find that they tend to slip down his backside, despite having the tail hole! Do the belly bands stay in place better?

Any comments would be appreciated!
allyzabethe
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:35 pm Post subject: Re: Question - doggie diapers or belly band? Reply with quote

I think the belly bands work better. My previous foster Quincy wore them constantly in the last few months of his life. He had dementia and forgot his training, but was not incontinent. He never peed over night, even if he wore a belly band.

You probably already know this, but in case someone else doesn't, the pads designed for incontinence like Poise or Serenity do a much better job of keeping the urine contained and keeping the smell down. Pads like Stayfree do an okay job with dribbles, but full blown puddles require something better.

I also used baby corn starch powder and diaper rash cream to keep his tummy from getting too irritated. Quincy would go through three or more pads a day at the end. That on top of peeing outside! When I was at home, I checked his band frequently. But when I was at work, he did have to wear the same pad for a few hours at a time.

Good luck and thanks for taking care of him in his old age. Some people would not put up with the incontinence and euthanize or dump at a shelter.
_____
Check out my blog at
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Y'all come and see us!
fenrira
PugMas'08 1st
PugMas'08 1st

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:49 pm Post subject: Re: Question - doggie diapers or belly band? Reply with quote

Although, some belly bands and diapers are just poorer in quality and will bunch up and slip so fast it will make your head spin. There are belly bands and diapers that stay in place better and for longer but they too all slip and have to be readjusted as needed.  So your issue when your just involving just a section and material on a moving body is just what happens but quality and material does make a difference.  As for your question on diapers or bands, the diapers are usually cut a little low for females so if there is a little slippage, BAM! there is their winky... Belly bands are better in that department because they are designed for a male but as I said, they will slip eventually too but the wider the band is and the better the material is the more resistant they are to slipping and rolling.  Another note for the belly bands, do not invest in any with the elastic on the sides no matter what kind of material.  Those are always slipping, bunching up and rolling in record time and can be a real pain.  However, there is another alternative to both that you may want to look at and might be better for an incontinent male called Poochie Pants at
Get registered or Log in
 I do not know personally if these are more successful because I do not currently carry them or anything like this design in my boutique but the design is certainly interesting though, because it involves more of the whole body by including the front. I may have to get one myself and try it on my Moe.
_____
Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

Amy mom to Moe who is my Heart...
BeausMama
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:22 am Post subject: Re: Question - doggie diapers or belly band? Reply with quote

Thanks Pug Pals!

Allyzabethe, Beau is like my second child. (I have one 2 legged one!) He's been with us since he was 7 weeks old. It breaks my heart that my "little old man" has to go through all this. I may give the band a try if I can find one locally and probably will use the Poise pads inside.

Fenrira, thanks for the tip about the elastic sides.

Give your puggies an extra hug from Beau!
BeausMama
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:19 pm Post subject: Re: Question - doggie diapers or belly band? Reply with quote

Since I do a lot of sewing, I decided to try and make a belly band for Beau. I have a mountain (!) of scraps in my sewing room, so I did make one for him and slipped a Poise pad in for the protection. So far it works well. It hasn't slipped like the diaper tended to do. Thanks again for the info and getting my creative juices flowing! I plan to make a couple more if the incontinence thing continues.
allyzabethe
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:18 am Post subject: Re: Question - doggie diapers or belly band? Reply with quote

Beau's Mama, I know you feel. I don't have two legged ones, just the four legged kind. I would do anything for them, including cleaning up messes and changing diapers.

Bellybands are so easy to make, as you've found out. I have to make up a bunch for my rescue before school starts. I am willing to bet that your local rescue would love any scraps that you have, if you need to get rid of them! A volunteer brought me curtains that she is no longer using that I'm turning into bellybands.

I'm glad the bands are working better for you.
_____
Check out my blog at
Get registered or Log in

Y'all come and see us!
elgor
Pugfessional
Pugfessional

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:27 pm Post subject: Re: Question - doggie diapers or belly band? Reply with quote

I have never used the doggie diapers. We have to use belly bands for Peyton and he is only 3. He started marking at 13 months old and cannot be trusted without one. We don't have any children so he is our oldest son and I will do anything for him. IF he has to wear belly bands the rest of his life, then I will continue to buy them, along with poise pads. and diaper rash cream. I don't leave them on him when we aren't home because he is in the kitchen so my husband mops the floor when he gets home from work. Peyton hikes his leg but he never really pees on the cabinets or the refrigerator - he just dribbles on the floor. Zoe likes to lay on a blanket and Peyton usually pees on it so I just give her a clean blanket every day and then I wash blankets every couple of days or so. I'm just glad BOTH boys don't have this issue but if they did I would just buy double the belly bands, pads, diaper rash cream! I love my pug babies!!!
_____
Ellen ... Mommy to Zoe (4 -1/2 years); Peyton (4 years); Webster (3 years) and Liberty (2 years)
Get registered or Log in
Get registered or Log in
Mad_Scientist
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:58 pm Post subject: Re: Question - doggie diapers or belly band? Reply with quote

Get registered or Log in

Belly bands.

You can gets some reasonable prices on some pretty cute ones.  (See site above.  It is a rescue, although a Peke rescue.)  many people make their own with velcow-  I am not so talented.  Non dog people will just think you are dressing your dog for the sport occasion, holiday, or that perhaps your dog just feels like a pirate.

:-)

Mojo is the most difficult dog I have ever had to potty train.  Belly bands make this not matter at all.  You still have to make sure everything everything is all strapped in-  it isn't magic.  But it is close.  Pads are important, as mentioned above.

Good luck.

-M
BeausMama
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:37 pm Post subject: Re: Question - doggie diapers or belly band? Reply with quote

I'm beginning to think that maybe Beau's issue is partially due to his age and decreased mobility. He can get down the steps to his pee pad, or outside, but coming back up the steps is hard for him and we carry him up the steps most of the time. In his darling little Pug thinking, it's just easier to squat where he is, be it the carpet, vinyl flooring, whatever!  Sad

That being said, I think I'll probably make a few more belly bands for him. They are easy to make and I have all the necessary stuff on hand to make more. Hmmm, that is until I decide to make "boy-print" ones for him!
fenrira
PugMas'08 1st
PugMas'08 1st

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:35 pm Post subject: Re: Question - doggie diapers or belly band? Reply with quote

Bless you for stepping up to the plate and I am so glad that the belly bands are working out for him!  (Plus, with you being able to make them, you can have him looking very snazzy with his very own originals  Very Happy ...)  I know you know that in having a senior pug, you have to be understanding and make adjustments for their comfort and health.  It may be a little more work but such a small price to pay for the unconditional love and devotion that they bring and have brought to our lives.  It is immeasurable!

Please give your precious Beau a pug hug and a kiss from Moe and I!
_____
Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

Amy mom to Moe who is my Heart...
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  Old Timers Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: