Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1486 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - Paralysis
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am
allyzabethe View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Is a PUG right for me? No Pug Yet - But Plenty of Questions! NJRonbo 21 Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:24 pm
PugsCom View latest post
how to stop 1 yr old male from scratching my walls Puppies! Gotta Love 'Em, But . . . scottg 2 Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:09 pm
scottg View latest post
Strawberry bump on lip Help! My Pug is . . . dvdchrisc 6 Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:23 pm
LaylaPie View latest post
Allergies Help! My Pug is . . . dphiebeatle 13 Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:19 am
joecast40 View latest post
Please Help Winston Walk Pug Patter Winniewiggle 2 Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:07 am
joecast40 View latest post

Paralysis

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> Help! My Pug is . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saraxo
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:38 am Post subject: Paralysis Reply with quote

Hi, on Saturday my pug Rocky was playing with my husband, Rocky tripped and fell and started screaming and dragging himself on his front legs.  We took him straight to the vet who did xrays and has had him since.  Rocky has a slipped disc in his spine and the vet thinks he was most likely born with spinal injuries.
We are so worried and the vet cannot guarantee that he will walk again.  Rocky has no feeling in his left hind leg but he does in his right and the right hind leg is slowly getting stronger. We are getting him home tomorrow and he has to have 6-8 weeks bedrest....HELP!!!!!
anyone had this happen to their pug? xx
macatsone
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:22 pm Post subject: Re: Paralysis Reply with quote

I'm very sorry to hear this about your pug.  Some years ago I had a lhasa who jumped off the bed about four feet from the floor.  She hit the floor and could not walk.  She dragged herself with her front feet and a trip to the vet showed on the xrays that her vertebra were actually pinching the spinal cord.  He gave her shots, took her home and had her in her crate and about a week later it got much better.  Sometimes sharing info does help.  I hope your baby gets well as quickly.

Peg and her 2 pug babies.
sweetie
Tail Chaser
Tail Chaser

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:28 pm Post subject: Re: Paralysis Reply with quote

I don't have any advice to give you only wanted to wish your Rocky well!  I hope he will heal quickly!
Froguy
Puglova
Puglova

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:04 pm Post subject: Re: Paralysis Reply with quote

No advice, but want to wish a speedy recovery to Rocky too.  Keep us posted.
_____
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Ann pugmom to Frodo
allyzabethe
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:52 pm Post subject: Re: Paralysis Reply with quote

I am so sorry to hear this. How terrifying for all of you.

My best advice is to follow the vet's instructions completely. If the vet says no running, no stairs, etc. do it. The next few weeks of recovery are very important.

Unfortunately for you, the pain meds that Rocky is probably getting will make him feel way too good to be still. Tallulah compressed one of her disks and I wound up taking her off the pain meds because she wanted to play and run. I didn't want her to suffer, but I had to keep her still for a while. So talk to your vet about what to do if Rocky is feeling too good. Maybe cutting the pain med dosage in half or not using it at all.

You will probably have to carry him for a while, out to potty, up to bed, etc. Then have him on a leash to make sure he doesn't run around.

You might talk to your vet about water therapy. Swimming might be a great way for him to stay fit and use his legs without putting a lot of weight on the legs and spine. My vet offers hydro therapy and larger cities have rehab centers for pets. Or you might be able to get a small blow up pool for him to use.

He will adapt, if he doesn't get the use of his leg back. Dogs are remarkably resilient creatures.

Good luck and keep us posted.
_____
Check out my blog at
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Y'all come and see us!
tubby3pug
Snarfler
Snarfler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:10 pm Post subject: Re: Paralysis Reply with quote

I certainly hope Rocky gets better and I agree follow the vets advice very carefully.  However, worst case scenario if he cannot get better then there are options.  many companies now make doggie wheelchairs and they let dogs leave actives lives.  My foster dog and eventual adoptee Bingo had partial paralysis of the hind legs from a slipped disk that progressed to full paralysis.   He used a wheel chair cart on walks.  He passed away in november but was very happy using his cart.  His death had nothing to do with his paralysis
Aki_Mommy
Pugaholic
Pugaholic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:39 am Post subject: Re: Paralysis Reply with quote

I hope your Rocky get well soon.
_____
bye 4 now
Dee Ann
Mom to 3 human children, Aki my pug and Loki our boxer and
3 Parrots Jagger, Bailey and Ozzy and a Bearded Dragon name Puff
RIP Tobokie  12/09/2011
Beautiful kitty Neko RIP  9/23/99-8/1/09
[img]
Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
[/img]
View user's profile Send personal message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
saraxo
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:01 am Post subject: Re: Paralysis Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

thank you all for your kind words, but I do have good news... ROCKY IS HOME!!!!

bed rest now for 6-8 weeks and I have to get him some pain relief pills everyday. I am so relieved he is here and I am in shock at how well the little one is doing!

He can sort of get about on 3 legs and drags the left hind leg, so I can let him out in the garden to pee! I never thought we would get here so quickly Smile he hates being in the cage and gives me the big sad eyes when I look at him!
The vet has given me exercises to do on him to encourage feeling back in the left hind leg so fingers crossed! I can hear him snoring away in his cage and Im nearly crying with happiness. Rocky is my world and I love him so much.  
We are back at the vets on fri so I will keep everyone posted on how he is improving :)

sara and rocky xxx
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  Help! My Pug is . . . Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: