Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1674 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - Steroids for leg problems?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Traveling with Chance Old Timers joecast40 4 Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:10 pm
Itching and scratching Pug Patter sweetie 6 Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:33 am
joecast40 View latest post
Strawberry bump on lip Help! My Pug is . . . dvdchrisc 7 Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:24 am
Pug Having Seizures Help! My Pug is . . . lucygirl 3 Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:21 am
5 month old just ate a hair grip Old Timers PretzelThePug 2 Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:19 am

Steroids for leg problems?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> Help! My Pug is . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onkell
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:45 pm Post subject: Steroids for leg problems? Reply with quote

My 10 year old pug Maggie has started slowing down considerably. I thought it was due to losing her buddy Tucker in Dec. but now I realize it's also due to some problems with her legs. I had her checked by the vet and he said her back legs are weak and it's probably spinal related. He put her on Deramaxx but I did not see much improvement. I've noticed now she always seems to hold the one back leg out at a weird angle when she's laying down. It looks quite uncomfortable. On his last message, the vet told me to try steroids. I have not yet picked them up. I have hesitations about this and need to read up. Can anyone tell me more about using this and if you think it could help? Won't it be temporary?  I was also thinking about trying chiropractic.
allyzabethe
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:13 pm Post subject: Re: Steroids for leg problems? Reply with quote

Have you asked your vet these questions? There may be specific reasons that your vet is prescribing steroids that we just don't know. I do know that steroids can reduce inflammation in joints, making the dog or person feel better. Write down specific questions and take them to your vet. They should make the time to answer all of your questions thoroughly.

On a different note, I would try a chiropractor or acupuncture. Perhaps in conjunction with medication, too. I know some pugs with arthritis that do really well with acunpuncture.

You could also look into an alternative vet. Someone who uses other therapies like Traditional Chinese Medicine, homeopathy, herbs, etc. to treat dogs. There could be foods that you could use with anti-inflammatory properties that might help Maggie without having to use steroids.
The University of Florida Vet school has done some research on foods that may help neurological diseases in dogs. Read this, print it and take it to your vet. The vet may be able to recommend certain additions to Maggie's food to help with inflammation in the joints.
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Good luck.
_____
Check out my blog at
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Y'all come and see us!
coleman
Pugfessional
Pugfessional

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:47 pm Post subject: Re: Steroids for leg problems? Reply with quote

Yes agree with allyzabethe.....ask your vet for specifics.....I am not a fan of just throwing steriods at an undiagnosed problem to see if it helps....firstly because steriods have side effects (yes more dangerous with long term use as opposed to short term)- but even short term can throw the immune system out of whack for a while....AND more importantly steriods can make some issues even worse-for example lyme disease.  It is important in my book-to try very hard to get an accurate diagnosis of what exactly is causing the problem- before deciding on treatments (unfortunately- that route can be very costly).  Without a definite diagnosis- I would feel comfortable trying acupuncture to see if there is any improvement. I personally prefer acupuncture over chiro work- only because in less skilled hands- chiro can cause more issues than it helps sometimes.....where as acupuncture can do no harm-even if done by someone not so skilled at it-the worst case scenerio is: it just doesn't help.
_____
Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." -Louis Sabin
onkell
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:52 am Post subject: Re: Steroids for leg problems? Reply with quote

Had xrays done and vet says there is no space between the middle vertebrae and mentioned herniated disc. I plan on trying the dose of steroids tomorrow.  Any more thoughts on this specific problem? Tips on steroid use? She already has accidents and wants to eat all the time so I'm quite worried about this will go.
janjennings
PugMas'08 3rd
PugMas'08 3rd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:25 pm Post subject: Re: Steroids for leg problems? Reply with quote

Well, it sounds like you know what to expect from the steroids.  I'd get some pee pee pads or some bitch britches if it gets bad, or think about a baby gate across the kitchen so only the tile or linoleum gets it!  The steriods seem to make mine thirsty, rather than hungry, but don't limit access to water.  She will want it because she needs it!

As for the eating all the time,  I use greenbeans to help with that.  That way she will feel full from the bulk and not put on tons of unhealthy weight.  I use canned no-salt added greenbeans and run them through the blender.  I have found that feeding the beans whole can lead to excess pug-farts, and I get enough of them already!  Happy Then I put as much of that as I do kibble (still put normal amount of kibble) and it works great. Also works  for dogs on seizure meds that are always starving.

Hope this helps Maggie.  I know steroids are a tough choice to make and should not be taken lightly, but sometimes they are the best and quickest way to bring down swelling in the spinal cord area.  Hopefully they will help her heal and then she can come off of them.

Jan
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  Help! My Pug is . . . Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: