Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1611 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - hot spot issues
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am
allyzabethe View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Is a PUG right for me? No Pug Yet - But Plenty of Questions! NJRonbo 23 Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:09 pm
PugsCom View latest post
Itching and scratching Pug Patter sweetie 3 Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:21 pm
Becky01007 View latest post
crusty nose Old Timers Ginapub 8 Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:26 pm
Rumples View latest post
5 month old just ate a hair grip Old Timers PretzelThePug 1 Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:16 pm
Rumples View latest post
Traveling with Chance Old Timers joecast40 2 Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:11 am
joecast40 View latest post

hot spot issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> Help! My Pug is . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YarrowPyxie
Pugfessional
Pugfessional

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:29 am Post subject: hot spot issues Reply with quote

so i got up sunday, went out to mimi, and saw a raw bloody spot on her neck. no idea how she got it/what caused it but i've been cleaning it daily and applying neosporin but she is a huge fighter when it comes to having to restrain her. i noticed her scratching it earlier and i think this is the root cause. when i clean it i can't find an obvious source for the blood so i assume shes just scratching it when i'm still asleep. since she's scratching, i gave her a benedryl but i wanted to know if theres anything i can give for pain. i think baby aspirin is ok but what dose?  if i can't restrain her to clean it tomorrow i might have to plop her in the tub and just pour warm water over her neck
allyzabethe
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:21 am Post subject: Re: hot spot issues Reply with quote

I wouldn't do aspirin because it's a blood thinner. I doubt she would bleed to death, but you want the blood to clot.

If you can, get some Gold Bond powder. I use the neosporin with the pain reliever in it (maybe neosporin plus or something?) then I sprinkle the powder over the neosporin. That will help dry it up.

The best way to get the gel on the spot though is to shave the spot or at least cut the fur as close as you can to the skin. If you can't do it, very hard to do on a dog by yourself, you could ask a groomer to do it.

When Petunia scratch her cheek so badly, I took the self adhering wrap that many vets use for wounds now and wrapped her paw with it. Because she was so violent with her scratching, I wound up wrapping her paw in cotton, putting a baby sock over the cotton, then wrapping it with the gauze stuff. She didn't like it, but it kept her claws from doing any more damage.

Depending on where the spot is, if you can keep her from getting to the spot, either with a t shirt or with the sock, that's the best thing to help it heal over.

If you still want to try the baby aspirin, one aspirin is the dose. Isabelle gets two a day when her arthritis bothers her, but I think you can do the same dosage that it says on the bottle. It does need to be the low dosage and not the 325 mg. 81 mgs is the low dose since it's not called baby aspirin anymore.
_____
Check out my blog at
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Y'all come and see us!
YarrowPyxie
Pugfessional
Pugfessional

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:34 am Post subject: Re: hot spot issues Reply with quote

well its kinda on her neck/shoulder on thr right and its a big bald patch about the size of my thumbprint. she scratches it with her right rear leg. she also does this weird twitchy thing where its like something is biting her but i dont see any evidence of bites. i think what i'm gonna do is get that self-adeshive wrap, wrap a couple of times with some gauze then put her harness over it. normally i like her to be 'nakie' when she's inside but i hink where its located would be covered by the harness and wouldn't require wrapping her foot
YarrowPyxie
Pugfessional
Pugfessional

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:16 am Post subject: Re: hot spot issues Reply with quote

well everything i've tried is an epic failure. the self adhesive wrap wouldn't stay in place once she moved, the t-shirts wouldn't either. i can't cover her back foot because she pottys on paper and her feet are routinely in her pee. so trying to cover it would only mean she'd scratch it with a filthy foot.  i'm at my wits end at this point because she hates being restrained and this is really a two person job. i have a friend who's a groomer. i'm taking mimi monday and she's going to help me decide what to do. i got a good bit of gunk off it today with just water so i'm hopin if we get her in the high walled grooming tub and just rinse the area with plain warm water we'll be able to degunk it considerably. but i realize i'm probably going to have to take her to the vet which means i probably won't be eating for the next week. the vet i go to is fine except that they are ridiculously expensive. to even see her you have to pay the office fee of $35, which is all the money i have right now. *sigh* i'm just frustrated because she wont let me do anything to her and i'm devastated because i know shes in pain/uncomfortable. and i'm a worrier so i'm petrified its something other than a routine hot spot. at least you guys understand
sweetie
Tail Chaser
Tail Chaser

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:45 pm Post subject: Re: hot spot issues Reply with quote

Is it located where one of those head collar things would keep her from scratching it?  My Ranger gets them occasionally.  I use a spray from the pet store called pet relief it is for hot spots an its an anti-itch spray.  It works fairly well as long as you can get her to stop scratching.  I have duct taped a sock to his hind leg before.  The gauze wraps didn't work even when I tried an ace bandage to hold it on.  Good luck, I know they are not fun, and the smell Yuck!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  Help! My Pug is . . . Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: