Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1584 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - Overweight Pug
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am
allyzabethe View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Is a PUG right for me? No Pug Yet - But Plenty of Questions! NJRonbo 23 Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:29 pm
NJRonbo View latest post
Itching and scratching Pug Patter sweetie 3 Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:21 pm
Becky01007 View latest post
crusty nose Old Timers Ginapub 8 Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:26 pm
Rumples View latest post
5 month old just ate a hair grip Old Timers PretzelThePug 1 Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:16 pm
Rumples View latest post
Traveling with Chance Old Timers joecast40 2 Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:11 am
joecast40 View latest post

Overweight Pug

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> Help! My Pug is . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylie11
Puglet
Puglet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:01 pm Post subject: Overweight Pug Reply with quote

My 2 yr old Pug is just so overweight and I am having trouble getting him to lose.  He gets 1/2 cup kibble 2x day which he really doesn't eat, with 1/2 small pouch of Cesar's wet dog food 2x day.  He gets quite a few dog treats.  Now, I know I should cut out the treats and perhaps cut down on the wet food, but then he cries, actually barks and is a pain in the neck until I feed him more.  I walk him 2x day and he runs a little in the backyard.  But he sure is heavy (26 pounds) and I know this is bad for his health.  What can I do?  Ignore his hunger and just feed him small amounts?  Thanks.
Aki_Mommy
Pugaholic
Pugaholic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:05 pm Post subject: Re: Overweight Pug Reply with quote

My pug Aki weights 26.8 pounds he very cubby and he has a nice waist line but I do feel he might be over weight. I give 1/2 cup of dry 2x a day plus a small amount of Vitals been cutting out treats. Seem no matter what I do he seem to stay at his current weight.  Exercise is the key and no extra snacks.

Does your vet say your pug is over weight?  Remember all pugs come in all shape and sizes. If he needs a treat try green beans.

Good Luck I been trying for a while to get Aki under 25 mark but he never budges.  I know other member will chime in.
_____
bye 4 now
Dee Ann
Mom to 3 human children, Aki my pug and Loki our boxer and
3 Parrots Jagger, Bailey and Ozzy and a Bearded Dragon name Puff
RIP Tobokie  12/09/2011
Beautiful kitty Neko RIP  9/23/99-8/1/09
[img]
Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
[/img]
View user's profile Send personal message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sazzle
Snarfler
Snarfler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:21 pm Post subject: Re: Overweight Pug Reply with quote

weve been to see 4 or 5 different vets with one of our boys for a whole spectrum of opinions on weight.

the majority say hes fat end of story, cant feel his ribs clearly yada yada...... i cant think that ive EVER seen a pug with protruding ribs that didnt look malnourished. not in comparison to other breeds which are built differently, pugs just arent supposed to look that way imo.

i would say your boy sounds like he is a bit overweight though, and the only way youre going to help that is to be harder and not give him the treats. our boys dont get any treats unless we have a visitor and even then its not even once a week. stevies weight is hard enough to maintain without feeding him extras!

if your dog wont eat his kibble then dont give him anything else and dont leave the bowl on the floor for him to eat at his leisure. the key is regular exercise [maybe if you have time then take him for an extra walk in the day?] and be strict with his food. once he realises he isnt getting anything else he will eat the portions that you give him.
Roscoes_mama
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:41 pm Post subject: Re: Overweight Pug Reply with quote

When we got Roscoe about 4 months ago (he's 4 years old) the rescue called him a tank. He was 27lbs. We feed him a 1/2 cup of dry food in the morning, walk him for about 20-30 minutes. And then another 15 minute walk about an hour later. We then crate him while we are at work  Sad  My boyfrind comes home and walks him between 10-15 minutes and then feeds him 3/4 cups of dry food. Then we take him out to pee before we sleep. We play with him when we get home and only give him a few treats, when training and to help him into the crate. He is now 23 lbs and looks so much more healthy. He also runs around and jumps up when either of us gets home. I do think a huge part of his weight loss is the walking/exercise. I know that our little man would eat more if we gave him more. I also think routine is important, once he gets used to less food, it will be normal and won't "complain" anymore. I think Dee Ann is right about asking your vet. I know that 20 lbs is good for pugs, but I think if Roscoe weighed 20 lbs, he'd look like a skeleton. GOOD LUCK!!!
_____
Vivian, the very proud mum of Roscoe
allyzabethe
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:21 pm Post subject: Re: Overweight Pug Reply with quote

You already know the answer. How does any creature lose weight? Reduce calories taken in and increase calories burned. But it's also about the quality of food he's getting.

Depending on the kibble (you didn't mention the brand), it could be full of fillers and garbage. And wet food is like a tv dinner. So he could be eating doggy junk food. He might be eating the recommended amount of food, but it's like eating a pound of twinkies.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with a dog refusing to eat kibble, within reason. Maybe the kibble tastes bad to him. Maybe he doesn't like the flavor. Maybe it's like eating liver and onions, or something equally horrible to us. So, I don't have a problem with dogs refusing certain kibbles. That's when you find another one that works for him.

On the other hand, would he prefer the wet food that smells like beef or chicken? Of course he would. Would you prefer a burger or a bran muffin? Which one is healthier for you? Exactly. The one you'd rather not eat. Think about his nutrition the way you would a child's. Do you make the child eat all his vegetables or let them whine until they get the happy meal?

This is what I would do. I would change the portions of his food. Maybe half the kibble, half the wet food. Make sure the kibble is a quality kibble that he likes. You want to avoid the foods with lots of fillers.

To keep him from thinking he's starving, although he is a pug and is by definition always starving, give him foods that don't add a lot of calories, but do add bulk. Like apples and green beans. They both make a dog feel full but have low calories, low fat. Change the treats you are giving now for low calorie, low fat treats. Dehydrated apples or sweet potatoes (you can make these in your oven), green beans, baby carrots, blueberries. You can actually give him the same amount of food (sometimes more) with fruits and vegetables than you were with commercial stuff.

And absolutely, exercise. Chase the ball, run up and down the stairs, walks. Stuff his food into a kong and freeze it. The effort he makes to get the food out of the kong is more than getting it out of a bowl, so he will burn a few more calories that way. Believe me, you will be surprised at how weight can really mess up a dog. My foster dogs came in at 24 and 25 pounds, and they are short legged pugs. Now Isabelle is about 17 pounds and can jump on her back legs. Quincy can stand up on his back legs. Before, they barely waddled around and no energy. Now, they have more energy and are healthier than they have been in years. And they are 10 and 11.

So do him and yourself a favor and get the weight off in a reasonable amount of time. He'll live longer and be healthier.
_____
Check out my blog at
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Y'all come and see us!
Froguy
Puglova
Puglova

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:00 pm Post subject: Re: Overweight Pug Reply with quote

How about baby carrots to replace the treats.  My pack loves them & they are good for cleaning their teeth too.
_____
Get registered or Log in

Ann pugmom to Frodo
PYK3
Puggus Maximus
Puggus Maximus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:17 am Post subject: Re: Overweight Pug Reply with quote

allyzabethe, that was excellent.  Made me think about my own weight problem.

We went to the vet on Thursday and she said both girls need to drop some weight.  Kee, the pug, is up to 17, I knew before we went she was gaining and we would be in big trouble from the vet.  Akina, the shih tzu, was up to 15, with her it is hard to tell cuz she has so much hair , I don't notice her weight change so much.
We have cut down treats, kibble and added a little more exercise.  I am hoping it helps.  I don't like them going into the winter months with any extra weight.  They don't get nearly as much exercise in the Iowa winter.
_____
El, Mom to Keeyahshah and Akina

Get registered or Log in

<a>PitaPata Dog tickers</a>

allyzabethe
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:27 am Post subject: Re: Overweight Pug Reply with quote

I reread my post and it sounds so rude and bossy. I certainly didn't intend it that way.

Do your girls still play El? I do a lot of toy throwing in the winter. Unfortunately Isabelle and Quincy don't play so I'm stuck on things to do with them. If you come up with an indoor exercise, let me know. I am pondering some kind of hoist that will hold Quincy up in the tub so he can swim inside. Isabelle could use it too. But I've got more thinking about it to do.
_____
Check out my blog at
Get registered or Log in

Y'all come and see us!
ndemmons
Puggish
Puggish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:47 am Post subject: Re: Overweight Pug Reply with quote

Maddy is 20.6...I think I just embarrassed her by annoucing it to everyone who reads this post, but I actually enjoy reading about the weight issues. Yes, Maddy's a little overweight, but it doesn't stop  her from going on a two mile walk with me and it doesn't stop her from playing and doing normal activities. I won't get into feeding practices in our house, but I do watch her calories closely (including those outside dinner).
_____
Get registered or Log in
Aki_Mommy
Pugaholic
Pugaholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:51 am Post subject: Re: Overweight Pug Reply with quote

allyzabethe  I thought you post was very informational and no way did I think it was boss.  

I feed a good quality and Aki get exercise and  he plays all the time. When Loki got really sick Aki put on some weight he was pushing 30 pounds and now I got him back down to 26.8 pounds. I would like to get him to lose some more weight but it takes time. Just like us the slower we lose it the better chances we have to keep it off.
_____
bye 4 now
Dee Ann
Mom to 3 human children, Aki my pug and Loki our boxer and
3 Parrots Jagger, Bailey and Ozzy and a Bearded Dragon name Puff
RIP Tobokie  12/09/2011
Beautiful kitty Neko RIP  9/23/99-8/1/09
[img]
Get registered or Log in
[/img]
View user's profile Send personal message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KimbaPug
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:22 am Post subject: Re: Overweight Pug Reply with quote

Another question is...what kind of treats are you feeding your pug?  My kids told me their friend's pug was recently diagnosed completely blind!  They went on to tell me he is 32-35 pounds and the dad feeds him potato chips while they watch TV.  I said to my kids, let me guess...they found out the pug was diabetic? They said yes...go figure.  Obesity consistantly leads to diabetes which if left untreated leads to tons of things...one being retinopathy.  I feel so bad for the puggy.

I have witnessed a pug demand, and I mean demand, treats before...it was so stinking cute! But I guess it could be dangerous...I would definitely try to find a healthy treat that your dog will eat. Also, maybe try mixing just a couple spoonfuls of high quality wet dog food (like:
Get registered or Log in
) , in high quality kibble. Maybe if he ate his food, he won't want so many treats?  Hopefully I guess   nice
PYK3
Puggus Maximus
Puggus Maximus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:29 pm Post subject: Re: Overweight Pug Reply with quote

allyzabethe wrote (View Post):
I reread my post and it sounds so rude and bossy. I certainly didn't intend it that way.

Do your girls still play El? I do a lot of toy throwing in the winter. Unfortunately Isabelle and Quincy don't play so I'm stuck on things to do with them. If you come up with an indoor exercise, let me know. I am pondering some kind of hoist that will hold Quincy up in the tub so he can swim inside. Isabelle could use it too. But I've got more thinking about it to do.

it wasn't rude and bossy

yes they still play but when it is raining during the summer I make sure I go upstairs (so they follow) quite a few times, I also go and grab a treat and put it in my pocket and then they follow me -usually they are very fast- mine won't fetch so I had to come up with something.
I have a large tub I could try the swimming thing but I don't now if I want to clean out the tub that often.
_____
El, Mom to Keeyahshah and Akina

Get registered or Log in

Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  Help! My Pug is . . . Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: