Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1594 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - Licking, scratching, ear infections...
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am
allyzabethe View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Is a PUG right for me? No Pug Yet - But Plenty of Questions! NJRonbo 23 Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:09 pm
PugsCom View latest post
Itching and scratching Pug Patter sweetie 3 Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:21 pm
Becky01007 View latest post
crusty nose Old Timers Ginapub 8 Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:26 pm
Rumples View latest post
5 month old just ate a hair grip Old Timers PretzelThePug 1 Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:16 pm
Rumples View latest post
Traveling with Chance Old Timers joecast40 2 Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:11 am
joecast40 View latest post

Licking, scratching, ear infections...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> Help! My Pug is . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgtgregg
Puglet
Puglet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:11 pm Post subject: Licking, scratching, ear infections... Reply with quote

Hello,

I have three pugs and a lab/spaniel mix... one of my pugs (male 4), and the L/S mix have allergies (all do, just not as much as these two)... these cause ear infections, a lot of scratching, and paw licking (couch licking) and a rash (on my male pug) feet & between the legs.

My male pug and especially the L/S mix get ear infections all the time, at least once a month. The vet pretty is always gving us OTOMAX for the ear infections. Occasionally he will give a steriod shot and some pills... As everyone knows, this gets costly...

My two female pugs do well and don't have many allergies; but occasionally lick (their paws).

Is there anything that can be done to help prevent all these allergies and especially the ear infections (and licking)? Currently we feed them "Kibbles N Bits" and a daily treat. They are inside dogs, but have access to the backyard. We have a Bermuda grass in the backyard. We don't have a flea or tick problem.

The male pug and one of the female pugs sleep downstairs. While the L/S mix and another female pug sleep upstairs.

Thanks
Rudy2008
Tail Chaser
Tail Chaser

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:10 pm Post subject: Re: Licking, scratching, ear infections... Reply with quote

If they have allergies, you need to feed them a better quality food.  I had the exact same problem with my guy Rudy, and as soon as I switched him to a better quality food that is made for allergies, his ears have stopped flairing up and his scratching and teary eyes have decreased substantially.  I had originally had him on a perscription food from the vet, which worked really, really well but I have since moved and it's way too hard to get to his vet now to get the food (it's 1 1/2 hours away now).  So I switched him to Natural Balance Duck and Potato (thanks to some great advice on here) and I'm happy to say he is doing really, really well.  I also use Witch Hazel on his ears when they do flair up a little bit.  I just put a few drops in his ears and squish it around, and it seems to do the trick.  I also make sure I clean his ears as soon as I see they need to be done - I use apple cider vinager and water to clean his ears.  I think the first step you really need to take is getting them on a better quality food - look for one that is made for allergies.
_____
Proud mom to Rudy and Oreo the kitty!
Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
allyzabethe
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:40 am Post subject: Re: Licking, scratching, ear infections... Reply with quote

I would agree that you might want to change their food. Lots of commercial dog foods have ingredients that can cause problems for pugs. Corn seems to be a big irritator. There are limited ingredient diets that you might try, like Natural Balance or others.

If it's year round, it's probably something in their food or in your home. Since changing food is easier than ripping up your carpet, I'd start with that.

You can also try Benadryl, see if that helps with the itching. Check with your vet first, but the usual dosage is 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight. So if your pug weighs 20 pounds, you can give 20 to 40 milligrams. The children's version is 12.5 mgs per dose (either pill or liquid teaspoon). The adult is 25 mgs. I use the liquid because I can mix it in the food easier and change up the dosage if I need to. My girls are about 16 pounds, so on really bad days, I give a little over 2 teaspoons.

Good luck.
coleman
Pugfessional
Pugfessional

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:52 pm Post subject: Re: Licking, scratching, ear infections... Reply with quote

definitely agree with the above...kibbles and bits is one of the VERY low quality foods out there.

A great site to learn what to look for and what to avoid is:
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in
_____
Get registered or Log in

"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." -Louis Sabin
b2rowdy
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:43 pm Post subject: Re: Licking, scratching, ear infections... Reply with quote

We have been fighting an ear infection with Puggles for well over 3 months now. We just keep putting Otomax in them and hope for the best. It gets better for a minute and then she is shaking her head and scratching her ears again. Jeez!! I have been trying to change their food....so far she will have none of it. I tried Blue Buffalo for the first change. Neither of my Pugs will eat it. Rowdy actually throws up when she does eat some of it. Only the big dog, Bear, will eat it and then he needs access to the "bathroom" at a moments notice....if you know what I mean!

I want something that will taste good to them....how I will know what that is I don't know! I think I will try the Natures Balance Duck & Potato I think. The only think that makes me hesitate is the comment someone made about it making her Pug gassy. Lord knows....Rowdy can kill you with those silent bombs...don't need to help her create more gas! I will try it the NB next.

Jolly Day!!
Rudy2008
Tail Chaser
Tail Chaser

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:17 am Post subject: Re: Licking, scratching, ear infections... Reply with quote

Make sure you do the transition slowly, or else it will/may upset their tummies.  Just add a little bit of the new food to the old food and gradually switch them over.  Rudy goes NUTS for the Natural Balance Duck and Potato and it has helped him alot.  I can only help that you both have the same results... however, just because it works for Rudy, doesn't mean that it will work for your guys.  It can be very frustrating, but don't give up.  You'll find something that works and they like, it just might take some time.
_____
Proud mom to Rudy and Oreo the kitty!
Get registered or Log in
ndemmons
Puggish
Puggish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:51 am Post subject: Re: Licking, scratching, ear infections... Reply with quote

Whenever there are issues such as the ones you've mentioned, one of the vets I know always recommends a change in food.
_____
Get registered or Log in
slowpoke387
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:48 am Post subject: Re: Licking, scratching, ear infections... Reply with quote

Old thread i know but thought I'd chime in. I had the same prob with my 4 yr old Bailey. We took her to the vet about 7 times. Seems like they will always want to change the diet but sometimes ya need to check your household. We found she had an immediate reaction to Arm & Hammer carpet freshener one day right after vaccuming. We had changed her diet countless times and tried all kinds of things trying to rule things out.
 So after hundreds of dollars and a million hours of pulling our hair out we think we have it figured out. We had the carpets cleaned along with all her bedding. Almost overnight the itching, rashes, sores, constant scratching, etc. all subsided by at least 75%. I'm really suprised and quite frankly disapointed that the vet never mentioned it, as we found this suggestion rather quickly after a few searches online.  Just one more thing for someone to check for if the diet change doesn't help...
sazzle
Snarfler
Snarfler

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:05 pm Post subject: Re: Licking, scratching, ear infections... Reply with quote

As per all above, the biggest problem and cause of ear infections / production of wax is the diet
our fawn pug used to suffer quite badly until we changed his food to a plain diet brand and introduced a little plain, fat free yoghurt with each meal. we found after only 1 week the production of wax and the scratching had reduced by about 80%, it really was remarkable.

we are now able to manage the ear cleaning with baby wipes 3 or 4 times a week, and he hasnt had an infection for well over a year
_____
***~*** Sarah & The Mitchell Brothers ***~***
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  Help! My Pug is . . . Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: