Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1610 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - Polly has a swollen paw & I am irritated w/ vet- UPDATED
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am
allyzabethe View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Is a PUG right for me? No Pug Yet - But Plenty of Questions! NJRonbo 23 Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:09 pm
PugsCom View latest post
Itching and scratching Pug Patter sweetie 3 Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:21 pm
Becky01007 View latest post
crusty nose Old Timers Ginapub 8 Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:26 pm
Rumples View latest post
5 month old just ate a hair grip Old Timers PretzelThePug 1 Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:16 pm
Rumples View latest post
Traveling with Chance Old Timers joecast40 2 Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:11 am
joecast40 View latest post

Polly has a swollen paw & I am irritated w/ vet- UPDATED

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> Help! My Pug is . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danjo
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:31 pm Post subject: Polly has a swollen paw & I am irritated w/ vet- UPDATED Reply with quote

Ok gonna vent here- so I come home from work just a little bit ago & I noticed my hubby was still awake (he works nights & sleeps during the day).  I immediately notice he is tending to Polly.  He tells me he noticed she was limping & her paw is swollen when he came home from work this morning.  (I didn't notice anything unusual this morning- I leave at 3:45 AM & don't bother the pugs too much- they prefer to sleep at that hour-lol). So I of course call our vet right away.  We have been going there with all our animals forever- like 15 years.  But other than routine exams lately (Polly has only been once when we first got her back in July, Louie's was in Sept) we haven't been.  After going non stop last year when Maggie was alive & that whole ordeal- I am sooo glad they have been healthy.  So the receptionist asks if we are patients- I tell her yes. Then she asks what is going on & why Polly needs to be seen.  So I explain what is going on.  She then tells me that the office is closing at noon (in 45 minutes) and that it sounds like she needs to be seen as soon as possible- but that they can't see her since they are closing- I will have to call someone else.  I am like WTH?  I realize we are 20 minutes from them- but I could make the drive.  Not only that- around here if you are not a reg patient- no vet will take you unless your dog is is REALLY bad shape & even that is a huge maybe.  Well Polly doesn't act like she is in pain or that the paw is really bothering her too much.  She isn't an extremely active dog anyway at almost 6 yrs old- so she is very content to sleep & lay around- her basic normal routine. If they are busy today- I suggested tomorrow- my hubby could bring her in first thing in the morning.  The lady tells me that is fine- but if she gets worse she will need to be seen- I of course agree that I would call back our vet immediately.  Then get this- the lady says to me- Oh no I mean to see another vet- I already told you that we will be closed today at noon.  I say- You mean there will be no one on call- our vet (or her father who is a retire vet that works there occasionally), or one of the assistants? No-she tells me- no one is available- that is her response!!  OK?? Confused  Just a year ago they were on call- I know because I called many times in the middle of the night or weekends for Maggie- which were true emergencies.  So I hang up after setting the appt for tomorrow morning.  UGH!!  I am so mad.  So what if I had needed them before this after hours for an emergency?  Would they have been there?  If not- what would I have done- we don't have an emergency room for animals less than 2 hrs away.  Well when Polly is seen in the morning- details will be found out as to why we are told to go else where & why we cannot depend on them after hours.  I feel if I can't depend on them to be there when I need them- we will go elsewhere.  I hate to do that- I love my vet and we really don't have a good choice for vets around here.  I realize people probably call them at all hours for stupid things & non emergencies.  I really try not to bother them if I don't have to.   But if I need them- I want to know they will be there- that I think is not too much to ask?   Sad Please tell me if you think I am being unreasonable.
_____
Pugs & Kisses,
Dana Jo, Polly, & Louie

Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Last edited by danjo on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
elgor
Pugfessional
Pugfessional

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:52 pm Post subject: Re: Polly has a swollen paw & I am irritated w/ vet Reply with quote

That really sucks especially since you know they will take emergency calls because you had to do it in the past.

Maybe ... in her defense ... she was having a bad day and was just ready to get out of there - which is NO EXCUSE - but I know it happens. I hope you get some answers!!!

I hope and pray that everything is okay with Polly. Maybe she landed hard when she jumped off the couch or the bed?
_____
Ellen ... Mommy to Zoe (4 -1/2 years); Peyton (4 years); Webster (3 years) and Liberty (2 years)
Get registered or Log in
Get registered or Log in
atillasmom
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:08 pm Post subject: Re: Polly has a swollen paw & I am irritated w/ vet Reply with quote

I have my vet's cell number and he is on call all the time.  He came up to the office on a Sunday to give Esther fluids and antibiotics when she had that fever that turned out to be a bladder infection.  She was delirious with the fever and I don't know what I would have done if they'd just said "sorry, you'll have to go somewhere else."  There's an emergency vet here but they're twenty minutes away, while my vet is just up the block.  I'd definitely voice your thoughts about finding a vet who will be on call in emergencies.  I've heard bad things about emergency vets anyway, just because they don't know you, your dog, and their history.  I hope Polly is ok. Sad
_____
Amber mommy of Atilla and Wicket, the pugs
pugmuffinsmomma
Pugaholic
Pugaholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:57 pm Post subject: Re: Polly has a swollen paw & I am irritated w/ vet Reply with quote

No I don't think you're being irrational at all. Especially since you know in the past that they have taken call. The vet I use with the girls doesn't take call, but they are open until 7 during the week and are affiliated with an emergency hospital that they refer us to if an emergency arises. We have never been turned away because one of our animals is sick and they "are closing soon." I would mention it to the dr. and see what they say about it, cause it is good to know if office policy has changed or something that way in the future you would know in case something happens. I personally think it's odd that she told you you would have to find someone else to look at her. That's just asking for patients to take their business elsewhere!
_____
Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
PYK3
Puggus Maximus
Puggus Maximus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:02 pm Post subject: Re: Polly has a swollen paw & I am irritated w/ vet Reply with quote

so sorry to hear about Polly.  How is she today?

Happy belated Birthday.
Kee and Akina send hugs and kisses to you and Polly and Louie.
_____
El, Mom to Keeyahshah and Akina

Get registered or Log in

<a>PitaPata Dog tickers</a>

ndemmons
Puggish
Puggish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:17 pm Post subject: Re: Polly has a swollen paw & I am irritated w/ vet Reply with quote

That really grinds my gears. I've recently switched vets for my girls and it's the best decision I've made!  I even work part-time at the office I take Maddy and Emma to!

Will Polly let you touch her paw? Are you able to see if there's something wrong with any of the pads, maybe even between her toe pads and her main?
_____
Get registered or Log in
otisnlilysmom
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:49 pm Post subject: Re: Polly has a swollen paw & I am irritated w/ vet Reply with quote

I had the same thing happen at Christmas, when Otis's seizures were at their worst, I called my vet got their emergency line on Christmas Eve, they say we will have the on call vet call you back, 2 seizures later, I call again by this time its 1:30am, I am scared for my little boy, and they say yet again, we will have the on call vet contact you. No one calls, Christmas Day first seizure 11 am, I am on the phone with the emergency line telling them that they are going to have someone call me back immediately as he was seizing during my call and my husband could not get him breathing at that point (he then did get Otis breathing-thank god), no one calls. I call the emergency line to another vet in our area (that I do not prefer at all-I am desparate at this point) the nicest on call vet in the world calls me right back, explains everything to us, we are doing everything right and just continue to do so and get him to our regular vet on Monday. Our vet calls back after yet another call to the emergency line-he tells us I am sorry he probably won't make it through the weekend or the 3 hour drive to the emergency clinic-just keep doing what we are and let him know. Well come Monday, our little boy could not keep his balance, was seizing one on top of the other, couldn't hold those sweet velvet ears up, so I call the vet I do not prefer and my husband and I take him there-she stated that with his history it sounded like PDE at this point Otis is exhausted and we are devastated-we put him to sleep. I can tell you I have since switched vets and hope I do not have to go through that ever again with any of my other dogs. I pray for you and your pugger!!!
danjo
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:49 am Post subject: Re: Polly has a swollen paw & I am irritated w/ vet Reply with quote

Well after visiting with my vet I feel a little bad.  My vet is only human after all- It seems they had an assistant quit w/out notice, her father (other vet that is retired- but offers assistance) is having health issues, they are short handed, etc...  I also know she is a mother of two very young human babies & I really think she is overwelmed & sleep deprived.  Anyway- I talked with her- voiced my concern & suggested she get someone hired ASAP- an assistant or another vet to help with the practice- or she may lose some clients. I wasn't mean or rude- but honest with her.  I also told her it would be good her own sanity.  I do love the care I get with her- so I am hoping things get better for her & we can stay with her.  But I still stand with my feeling- if you go into this kind of business- you have to expect to be a vet not just 9-5, but 24 hrs a day.  If you can't then- find someone to split & share the on call duty with.

Anyway- onto Polly.  When she first started limping I check her foot right away to see if she was getting one of those cysts that form occasionally between her toes- nothing- her foot was just swollen.  So later on that night after my post I noticed a cyst starting to form!  Usually when she gets one of those she gets the cyst - but never has her foot swell too.  Well the aspirin & epsom salt soak seemed to had helped with her pain & she was putting weight on it by that night.  So when the vet saw her- she agreed it was a cyst- but instead of the just the usual ointment med- she also added an antibiotic and we are to keep doing the soaks.  And today Polly is doing much better- running around like normal & the cyst looks a lot better & swelling is going down.
_____
Pugs & Kisses,
Dana Jo, Polly, & Louie

Get registered or Log in
PYK3
Puggus Maximus
Puggus Maximus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:11 am Post subject: Re: Polly has a swollen paw & I am irritated w/ vet- UPD Reply with quote

Glad to hear Polly is better.

I sure hope the vet is able to get someone in to help.  It is a pain in the butt to have to change vets, particularly when it is one you like and knows the furbabies.  I switched about three years ago--the old vet was very good but the whole place was too business like and didn't have seem to friendly when I called or went in.  Just before I switched they added a few new vets that weren't overly friendly.  My new vet is fantastic and only four blocks from my house.
_____
El, Mom to Keeyahshah and Akina

Get registered or Log in

AHodel
Tail Chaser
Tail Chaser

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:03 am Post subject: Re: Polly has a swollen paw & I am irritated w/ vet- UPD Reply with quote

If you have had this problem before, do you know what causes these cysts?  Is it related to holding moisture between the pads, is it a dormant viral problem, or what exactly causes these?  I suppose, like with an ear infection by the time one notices the systems - it is already to a point that needs medical attention.  

I am glad everything has worked out - and thanks for the post, it is always interesting to have knowledge, whether needed or not, of some of the problems others face and the rememdies made to bring relief.
_____
Respectfully yours With twice as much Pug Love,

Get registered or Log in
Get registered or Log in

Abby, Isabella & me (Alisa)
Luzern Switzerland
puggytaz
Pugfessional
Pugfessional

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:47 pm Post subject: Re: Polly has a swollen paw & I am irritated w/ vet- UPD Reply with quote

Glad to hear Polly is okay!  I am glad you talked to your vet.  My vet is also the only vet there.  She does have technitians, but is the only vet.  When she goes on vacation or has an emergency she has another vet step in from a different office.  I however, don't care for him as much, so try to avoid going if I know he is there.  In case of an emergency, I would trust him to do what needs done - he just doesn't have the personality she does, but is very good at what he does.  I wonder if she could get someone from another office to help her out?  The only thing is that here, most all of the vets work together and help each other out.  If Taz needs something that my vet doesn't have...she can get it from somewhere else.  It doesn't sound like they would do that there, unless the reason they won't take you somewhere else is because they don't want to take another vet's business.  Confused
_____
Get registered or Log in

Karen, Taz, Holly, Duckie & Nibbler - the dog-like kitty!
Get registered or Log in
CrunkPunch
Pugaholic
Pugaholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:44 pm Post subject: Re: Polly has a swollen paw & I am irritated w/ vet- UPD Reply with quote

I don't blame you for being frustrated.  The person on the phone could have been more courteous, and explained the situation.
When we were with our old vet we had to get Isis in for an emergency appointment (a possibble bladder infection) but the vet wasn't in that day, so they referred us to another vet that they work closely with.  Well the other vet gave us a hard time when we called to try and get an appointment because we weren't one of their patients.  It was frustrating.  That vet did carry a pager on him, and only gave out the number to loyal customers.

We now have a new vet, they are closer to home and recommended to us by people from the Pug Rescue here.  I love the staff there, especially the one vet I always try to book in with.  They are wonderful.  The downside is that they do not give out personal numbers for emergency's, we have to go to to the e-vet but they have a great relationship with the people at the e-vet.  And it is only 5 mins farther than the regular vet.  The other good thing is that our vet is actually a chain of vets, and there is one location that is actually open on Sundays so you don't have to pay e-vet prices should an emergency happen (providing it happens on sunday).  

I hope Pollys paw is feeling better!
_____
Get registered or Log in

Shannon & Isis

Design Blog:
Get registered or Log in

AIM: CrunkPunch
MSN:
Please login to see this email
Get registered or Log in

E-Mail:
Please login to see this email
Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
View user's profile Send personal message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
elgor
Pugfessional
Pugfessional

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:14 pm Post subject: Re: Polly has a swollen paw & I am irritated w/ vet- UPD Reply with quote

I am so glad to hear that Polly is doing better!
_____
Ellen ... Mommy to Zoe (4 -1/2 years); Peyton (4 years); Webster (3 years) and Liberty (2 years)
Get registered or Log in
Get registered or Log in
dylansmomma
Puglet
Puglet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:50 am Post subject: Re: Polly has a swollen paw & I am irritated w/ vet- UPD Reply with quote

Hope Polly is feeling better. This evening Dylans paw started to swell--and there is a small cyst.  She is not limping and is in no pain--but it looks pretty ugly. Dylan gets skin stuff all the time--but not usually on her paw. We started her back on antibiotics we usually use for the skin stuff. If you could let me know what type of paw bath you are using I would apprecciate it.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  Help! My Pug is . . . Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: