Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1665 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - Adopted Pug-Sad-misses old family?!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Traveling with Chance Old Timers joecast40 4 Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:10 pm
Itching and scratching Pug Patter sweetie 6 Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:33 am
joecast40 View latest post
Strawberry bump on lip Help! My Pug is . . . dvdchrisc 7 Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:24 am
Pug Having Seizures Help! My Pug is . . . lucygirl 3 Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:21 am
5 month old just ate a hair grip Old Timers PretzelThePug 2 Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:19 am

Adopted Pug-Sad-misses old family?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> Help! My Pug is . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babygirlmeg333
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:39 pm Post subject: Adopted Pug-Sad-misses old family?! Reply with quote

Confused

Hello Pug Lovers,

I have been an owner of an amazing puppy pug. I love him so much. I was recently given the oppurtunity to adopt another pug, 2 years old. The owners did not have time anymore to spend with the pug. When my puppy met him, he seemed to love him and they got along great. However, when I took the pug home it changed. I couldn't get him out of the car, he acted terrified of me. I got him inside finally and all he wanted to do was hide and did not want to be touched. My puppy now seems very territorial too now that he is home. I have a feeling the owners would take back the pug as they seem to love him and were sad to see him go but I would rather utilize other options first. I don't want him to be depressed but thats what he seems like and he won't eat either.

Any ideas or suggestions please?!
allyzabethe
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:29 pm Post subject: Re: Adopted Pug-Sad-misses old family?! Reply with quote

It can take time to adjust. Here are my thoughts though.
First, if he's not eating, try this. Feed him away from the puppy. Feed him in a crate or another room so he doesn't feel threatened. Try a beef or chicken broth, poured over the food to stimulate his nose. Or try actual pieces of meat, just a few, mixed in with the food. You should try to hand feed him because this will associate you with good stuff, helping him adjust.

Second, make some alone time for him with you. Take him for a ride if he does well in the car. Take him for a walk or outside to play. Give him time with you, without puppy.

Third, I know it sounds crazy, but talk to him. Tell him the story, how his owners loved him enough to let him go. Tell him it's okay to be sad about leaving them, but it's okay to be happy with you. It's a huge shock to him, to leave the home he knew, the people he knew to come into a strange house, another dog's house and stay. He has no idea what's going on.

I talk to my dogs all the time, explain why we go to the vet, etc. If nothing else, you saying it outloud helps it make sense to you and lets you relax a little. Pugs pick up on your emotions and if you feel sad about him, he may pick up on that, too.

As for territorial puppy, that's another issue. If you don't already, I would get two crates, one for each. Crates should be like bedrooms. It's their quiet space, their place to go to be alone. It can also be a time out place. When puppy starts acting too territorial, he goes to his crate. And you can spend alone time with puppy, too. His world has been turned upside down as well. He had you all to himself before and now there's this new dog. You can talk to him, too. Tell him that you still love him and that you have more than enough love for both dogs.

Good luck and keep us posted.
katb
Puggish
Puggish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:30 pm Post subject: Re: Adopted Pug-Sad-misses old family?! Reply with quote

Babygirl, Don't give up yet. Your new pug will come around. May I suggest the tether life line. Tether him to you in the house. Close off the rest of the house so he has to stay with the family. But do put a crate that he can take a time out. Lots of soft praise and treats. He is just scared, and out of his sirroundings, but has to face it. Do NOT tell the new pug it's OK! You will be reinforcing the behavor. Instead, when he does come to you, praise with Good BOY. Your other pug is sensing the unstable behavor your new pug is showing. He is showing him the ropes of his territory. Pecking order. You have to allow some of this, as long as it's not to bad. If it gets alittle to intense. Take over. Don't allow your other pug to bullie to much.  Take them both for a walk together. Give it more time. You must be patient with him. Just my opinion. Hope this helps.
_____
Pugs Are Proof, God Loves Us, And Wants Us To Have A Happy Home.
atillasmom
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:34 pm Post subject: Re: Adopted Pug-Sad-misses old family?! Reply with quote

Awww poor little thing Sad  Well first of all I would take him to the vet just to make sure everything is ok physically.  Then get him a crate if he doesn't already have one-- a safe space for him to go without the puppy.  Put some fluffy blankets and stuffed toys in there, put treats in it occasionally.  Don't lock him in it, at least not at first, because you don't want it to be a scary place, but a welcoming spot for him to be by himself.  Second, training for the puppy.  He has to learn not to harass the new dog, and basic obedience is good for that.  Sit, stay, lie down, leave it, etc.  Obedience training often does wonders for dominance issues, which is what it seems like the puppy is having.  How old is the puppy?  If he's in his teenage stage then he's got hormones racing just like a human teen and that could be causing some issues.  I'd neuter if he's old enough and not already altered.  

Set aside private time for each dog.  This will help the puppy not feel like his people have been taken away, and it will help the new dog get used to his new family.  Sit on the floor with yummy treats (maybe boiled chicken?).  Don't pick him up or approach him, let him come to you.  Any time he takes food from you tell him how good he is.  Once he's comfortable with that start petting him before you give him a bite.  Don't pet the top of the head right away, that's a sign of dominance.  Stroke him along his sides.  Don't be forceful in any way.  I'd do that every day for awhile while the puppy is somewhere else.

I gotta go for now but hopefully your new family member will adjust quickly-- it's normal for him to be confused, his whole life has turned upside down.  Not only did he lose his family but now he has another dog he has to get used to.  It will take some time.

Good luck!
_____
Amber mommy of Atilla and Wicket, the pugs
Bethy
Pugonaire
Pugonaire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:35 pm Post subject: Re: Adopted Pug-Sad-misses old family?! Reply with quote

It sounds as if he's never been correctly socialized. This may be the first time he has ever been away from his original home, and is possibly suffering from homesickness.

Our rescue, Burt, sat by the French door that looks into the living room, where ihe front door to our house is, and just waited, probably for his owners to come get him. He knew that that door was the way he came in, and so he would watch for hours for his people to come get him. It nearly broke my heart, to watch him sit there, softly whining, but he eventually got over it, and finally decided that we were his family, now, but it took a long time.
_____
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

Home of:
Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Wally
Champion Jellyroll Sherfame Bre-z Bea
Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Pogo
Champion Bre-z Manor's Frozen Assets
Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Jolly
Jellyroll Bre-z Sparkle"N"Bling....AKC major pointed
Rose's Serendipity, and Rose's Licker-ish our new show prospects
babygirlmeg333
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:42 pm Post subject: Re: Adopted Pug-Sad-misses old family?! Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Bethy-I think you are right that he has never be socialized. My mom for example came over today. First time seeing her he was excited but scared and did not want to be touched or petted by her, the puppy couldn't wait for the attention though. A part of me wonders if the old family was just a very quiet family. We like to entertain and have people over so hopefully this will slowly introduce him to more people and let him be more comfortable. Thank you again for all the advice it helps. I know too, more than anything i must be patient
danjo
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:51 am Post subject: Re: Adopted Pug-Sad-misses old family?! Reply with quote

Give it time.  He will adjust.  He just needs lots of love and assurance.  My 5 year old female was moved around to many families before coming to our home forever.  It took some adjusting for her, but now she is very comfortable & happy.
_____
Pugs & Kisses,
Dana Jo, Polly, & Louie

Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in
ndemmons
Puggish
Puggish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:24 pm Post subject: Re: Adopted Pug-Sad-misses old family?! Reply with quote

I brought Maddy home when she was 12 weeks old and there was a couple days, that first week, where she moped around with her tail down and acted so sad. LOL!  That kind of makes me laugh, now that I think of it!

Anyway, she bounced out of it pretty quickly, but she was pretty young.  I hope your new one becomes more comfortable sooner, rather than later!
_____
Get registered or Log in
AHodel
Tail Chaser
Tail Chaser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:15 am Post subject: Re: Adopted Pug-Sad-misses old family?! Reply with quote

I think everyone has given you fantastic information, support and encouragement.  I know this must simply break your heart to see how sad he is, but I think with enough time and love - he will find his way too.  Please keep us updated on the progress.  In the meantime, have fun discovering what the new guys favorite things to do are.
_____
Respectfully yours With twice as much Pug Love,

Get registered or Log in
Get registered or Log in

Abby, Isabella & me (Alisa)
Luzern Switzerland
Jebs
Puggish
Puggish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:57 pm Post subject: Re: Adopted Pug-Sad-misses old family?! Reply with quote

Looking forward to pics... Smile  Henry says: Hewwoooo new dogwy, wewcome to yu new homez.  Dey will wuv yu and give yu lotz of tweatzzzz.  Be happyzzz, pweazze. Smile
_____
From: Deb who's owned by her little Bugger-Boy, Henry!! Smile
<a>Photobucket</a>
PYK3
Puggus Maximus
Puggus Maximus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:15 pm Post subject: Re: Adopted Pug-Sad-misses old family?! Reply with quote

I agree with everyone, give him time.  Would love to see some pictures.
_____
El, Mom to Keeyahshah and Akina

Get registered or Log in

<a>PitaPata Dog tickers</a>

<a>PitaPata Dog tickers</a>
SPYSGRANDKIDS
Snarfler
Snarfler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:23 pm Post subject: Re: Adopted Pug-Sad-misses old family?! Reply with quote

I have 2 pugs and when i fist got each we went  threw the same thing they do get better over time
_____
china and milo taking a nap
Get registered or Log in
<a>Photobucket</a>
pugmuffinsmomma
Pugaholic
Pugaholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:27 am Post subject: Re: Adopted Pug-Sad-misses old family?! Reply with quote

I know how it is...I have the two pugs. Dirty Girl was my ex's and I had Zoe. Even though Dirty was a part of my everyday life for 3 years, when we broke up and she came to live with me and Zoe we went through the same thing. She missed him even though I know she loves me and I'm always the one who took care of her. She would sit by the side door he always came in for hours just waiting, and it would break my heart. She and Zoe have always gotten along pretty good, theyre the best of friends when I'm not around but if I'm here they constantly fight for my attention. So I have a day where I take Dirty for a walk or something special without Zoe and I do the same with Zoe. I didnt want Zoe to feel like her life was turned upside down because Dirty was here. And I didnt want Dirty to feel like she was intruding on our life here. So its took some time, Dirty has re-established her dominance (which she always had before when we lived with him) and all is well...animals do get homesick and scared when their routine changes so it will just take some time and hopefully all will be well with you all too!
_____
Get registered or Log in
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  Help! My Pug is . . . Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: