Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1030 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - Urinary Incontinence
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Any techniques on getting pug pups to settle? Help! My Pug is . . . krash54 5 Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:10 am
Uncontrollable pug! Help! Help! My Pug is . . . Jenni 2 Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:57 pm
pulled muscle in back leg Help! My Pug is . . . mrchristmas 8 Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:20 am
Pregnant Pug Help! My Pug is . . . Pomymomy 2 Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:59 pm
Pomymomy View latest post
Pug has neurological issues... Advice needed please!! Help! My Pug is . . . Dawson9a 10 Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:26 pm
PugsCom View latest post

Urinary Incontinence

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> Pug Patter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicRe
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:47 am Post subject: Urinary Incontinence Reply with quote

we've had bubba for four months. he was not house trained nor was he neutered.

we neutered him the day after he came to us and slowly but surely, he's house training.

he is not lifting his leg, at least.

what he does is pee while laying down.

there is no infection and all lab values are unremarkable....and, while the vet said this was not
common, he believes bubba has urinary incontinence and wants to put him on prion or phenylproponalmine....

i personally don't care for drugs of any kind...i'm not entirely convinced that he has incontinence....although i could very well be in denial..

he has not peed in his kennel since 12/13. we are keeping a journal. he has dribbled into his belly band during sleep time, i guess when he's totally relaxed.

anyone have their dog on drugs for urinary incontinence? if so, have you noticed behavioural changes?

he's going to be three in may and he had absolutely no housetraining at all when we got him in september....it's only been approximately five weeks since he stopped marking in the house or lifting his leg in the house....and that's not quite the 60 day rule yet.

plus, is it okay to lift his water at a certain time? i was thinking about 6 a.m. through 6 p.m....since we get up at 4 a.m...and he's walked every two to three hours...
atillasmom
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:57 am Post subject: Re: Urinary Incontinence Reply with quote

Esther had problems with uncontrollable urination for awhile, she sometimes still does.  She'll go while she's sleeping or really relaxed like you described.  It's not very often so the vet doesn't think medication is necessary-- we control her water intake and it's helped a lot.    She only gets drinks after walks and with meals and she seems to do fine with that.  We pick up the water after dinner.
_____
Amber mommy of Atilla and Wicket, the pugs
MagicRe
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:28 pm Post subject: Re: Urinary Incontinence Reply with quote

at the moment, he's doing it about once a week...what makes me wonder is he sleeps through the night, no problem...and i know they don't like to pee or poo where they sleep and his kennel is just big enough for him no problem....

so if he can sleep relaxed for 7 hours, why can't he go for four? that's a rhetorical question...

my vet wants to put him on meds...reminds me of some docs i know..always wanting to put their patients on meds...

if it's a weak sphincter, then so be it...but doesn't house training an older dog require something like 60 days of no pee before being considered house trained?

granted, he doesn't lift his leg and hasn't for a month....in the house..this is when he's relaxed, which is why the vet thinks it's urinary incontinence....albeit rare for a young male dog, said to me by the vet.

i know i might be in denial...i'm still in sticker shock about the entropion...LOL

i don't want to medicate this dog...every medicine has side effects....

at the moment, it's about once every 5 days or so.

thanks for the answer.....i'm sort of glad i'm not the only one.
atillasmom
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:40 pm Post subject: Re: Urinary Incontinence Reply with quote

I've wondered the same thing b/c Esther can go all night, but sometimes in the evening if she's had more than normal to drink that day she'll hop up in my lap or be laying across my feet and before you know it she just lets go, doesn't even seem to realize she's done anything.
_____
MagicRe
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:43 pm Post subject: Re: Urinary Incontinence Reply with quote

well, this is our next step....limiting water intake...

i so don't want to put him on drugs, especially this one..

so the water dish will go down at 6 a.m. and we will pick it up at 6 p.m...he eats at 4 p.m., so that gives him time to drink.....and he goes to bed at 9 p.m.

maybe we'll pick up the water at 5 p.m...

we're adding an 'out' time in between the four p.m. and nine p.m. bedtime, thinking maybe five hours is too much wait time..

although for the life of me, i can't figure out why he doesn't pee in his kennel...i know generally dogs don't pee where they sleep, but if it's a medical condition, then would he be able to help himself?

i can just see this poor dog, in his kennel, with his legs crossed, praying for someone to get up? he doesn't bark...heck, i have to wake HIM up to go outside first thing in the morning.
atillasmom
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:02 pm Post subject: Re: Urinary Incontinence Reply with quote

I don't understand that part either-- although Esther does occasionally pee in her crate.  She used to do it all the time and she didn't seem to care, so we started crating her with Wicket and for some reason that made her stop going in the crate.  But like I said, sometimes she just loses it for no apparent reason, and it'll only be a couple of hours after she's been outside.  I've read that sometimes they don't completely empty their bladder when outside, then they come in and have an accident-- not sure if that's the issue or not.  Good luck with the water intake-- it may take a little adjusting, and if you notice that he seems really thirsty then that could be a medical thing (like diabetes), but I don't see picking it up at 5 or 6 being a problem.  Apparently some dogs just have weak bladders-- it's pretty common amongst weenie dogs, like Esther.
_____
MagicRe
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:53 pm Post subject: Re: Urinary Incontinence Reply with quote

if it's a medical issue, and it happens when they are all relaxed....

i don't know..i just go round in circles with this one....mainly because i'd rather not put him on meds...
and i'm not so sure it's medical.

after we've had him for a year, then we'll see....there..i made a decision LOL
katb
Puggish
Puggish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:15 pm Post subject: Re: Urinary Incontinence Reply with quote

Can I ask? Did your pug have this problem before you had him neutured? Could something have happened during the surgery to cause this?  Surprised
_____
Pugs Are Proof, God Loves Us, And Wants Us To Have A Happy Home.
MagicRe
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:46 pm Post subject: Re: Urinary Incontinence Reply with quote

katb wrote (View Post):
Can I ask? Did your pug have this problem before you had him neutured? Could something have happened during the surgery to cause this?  Surprised

let's see....we brought him home at 4 p.m....he peed on every blade of grass as he pulled me around the complex...came into the house and proceeded to pee on everything he could lift his leg on...and that was in the first fifteen minutes of being here.

at which point, we put a leash on him, and walked him around and around outside, hoping to empty his bladder, which never seemed to happen.

he was neutered by 8 a.m. the next day...

i wish i could give you an answer to that....i read that less than 1% of all spaying and neutering are the cause of urinary incontinence...usually, since it is a medical condition...it happens either when they are very excited or very relaxed...

we have learned to take him outside right after he plays and he wears belly bands....

we could put him on prion, i think it's called, but i'm not entirely convinced yet that he has urinary incontinence...it is pretty intermittent and he does not pee in his kennel....how much more relaxed could he be?

the reasons i was given were that he could have a weak sphincter, which is a breed issue....he could have narrow ureters, smaller than normal bladder...

he can go ten days without peeing...and then he'll do it every two days for a week...

belly bands...wonderful invention....i get them from an ebay store from a woman who makes them and has pugs like my bubba....
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  Pug Patter Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: