Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1420 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - Ok, Moe is terribly fat! Please help with diet ideas.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
My Pug has a medium sized zit on her outer area of the vulva Help! My Pug is . . . gbrodgers 4 Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:57 am
gbrodgers View latest post
Please Help Winston Walk Pug Patter Winniewiggle 1 Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:31 pm
Pug Having Seizures Help! My Pug is . . . lucygirl 1 Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:21 pm
Strawberry bump on lip Help! My Pug is . . . dvdchrisc 4 Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:16 pm
Looking for less expensive medication Old Timers BUDDA65 3 Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:34 pm

Ok, Moe is terribly fat! Please help with diet ideas.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> Help! My Pug is . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gant77
Puglet
Puglet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:28 am Post subject: Ok, Moe is terribly fat! Please help with diet ideas. Reply with quote

Hi all! Moe is almost a year now and he is twice the size of Quincy! We are trying to put him on a diet and i was hoping those who have had to put their pugs on a diet, would have advice or tips on the journey we are undertaking. It hurts so much to see Moe in his condition and not be the puppy he should be. On top of his weight, he has lick granulomas from the allergies. I am buying Innova health bars to cut out any remaining wheat, and corn that is in his diet. I just want him healthy and happy like his brother Quincy!
Quincy is on the left, Moe is on the right.
[img]
Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
[/img]

Last edited by gant77 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Froguy
Puglova
Puglova

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:33 am Post subject: Re: Ok, Moe is terribly fat! Please help with diet ideas. Reply with quote

You have beautiful boys!  Frodo is about 2 lbs overweight, I still give him is regular food, but not as much, also cut down on the treats.  I give him (& my other big dog) carrots as their treats, they are also good for cleaning their teeth.  I plan on walking Fro more, but right now it's too cold outside for me, so I play more ball in the house with him.  See if there are any other veggies he likes (as long as they are okay to feed to our puggies).  Good luck.
_____
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Ann pugmom to Frodo
atillasmom
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:45 am Post subject: Re: Ok, Moe is terribly fat! Please help with diet ideas. Reply with quote

We use cucumbers and carrots cut up into pieces for treats instead of the commercial stuff.  I think the normal amount of food is about a cup per day, in two feedings.  Wicket gets a little less b/c he only weighs 12 lbs.  Are you planning to work on exercise as well as diet?  Pugs have a reputation as couch potatoes, but Atilla gets a 10 minute walk in the morning with me and a 20 minute one when Tommy gets home, and he really seems to enjoy them, even though he hates being left out in the yard.  Good luck with Moe.  Both your boys are adorable Smile  I do understand your concern but Moe looks so cuddly I just want to pick him up and squeeze him. Razz
_____
Amber mommy of Atilla and Wicket, the pugs
gant77
Puglet
Puglet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:52 am Post subject: Re: Ok, Moe is terribly fat! Please help with diet ideas. Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice so far!!! I do walk with both of them a couple times a week, and I should take them to the dog park. I am working a lot of hours and find too many excuses to not take them out when I get home. I am a bad mommy!!! We feed Innova small bites and we were giving them Milk-Bone treats, even though I knew there may be an issue with the allergies. That however is coming to a end this week. I am making a Vet appointment for Moe to get an exact weight and meds for his raised lick granulomas. How long should it take for Moe to start losing weight?
gant77
Puglet
Puglet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:57 am Post subject: Re: Ok, Moe is terribly fat! Please help with diet ideas. Reply with quote

atillasmom----I would first recommend a back brace before picking Moe up!!! When I do pick him up, it feels like im holding a small whale!
ndemmons
Puggish
Puggish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:02 am Post subject: Re: Ok, Moe is terribly fat! Please help with diet ideas. Reply with quote

Start the exercise routine slowly, so as not to overdo it at first!  I got a laser light and use it and Maddy chases it all through the apartment, so when it's too cold, she still gets quite a bit of exercise!

She was around 21.5 pounds, now she's down to 18.5, which is about where I'm keeping her...all I did was exercise her more.  I do give her some treats, like dried carrots and sweet potato...she isn't a fan of that fresh stuff!  Happy
_____
Get registered or Log in
atillasmom
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:21 am Post subject: Re: Ok, Moe is terribly fat! Please help with diet ideas. Reply with quote

Lol poor baby whale Razz  He is gorgeous though.  Just don't expect the weight to drop off over night.  Like a person, gradual weight loss is healthier anyway.  For people they say a pound a week is ideal.  I'm not sure exactly what the numbers are for dogs, but you want to change habits in a way that you can keep up.  No crash dieting, just more exercise and a lower calorie diet with healthier treats should do the trick.
_____
allyzabethe
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:27 am Post subject: Re: Ok, Moe is terribly fat! Please help with diet ideas. Reply with quote

I've had good luck keeping my girls at a healthy weight. Yes, I am bragging a little, but for all the work I do, I deserve it! Now I make my own dog food and treats, which you don't have to do, but it helps.

Here's some ideas. Green beans and peas make a pug feel full, but don't have near the calories that kibble does. So you could substitute half a cup of green beans for half a cup of kibble and that way he still feels full, but is getting nowhere near the calories. If you do that, do half kibble/half veggies with each meal.

Fresh or dehydrated veggies and fruit (from the acceptable list) are great for treats and for meals. Keep in mind that uncooked vegetables do not digest very well. So you will see chunks of veggies in the poop. If you go with cooked, you should also run it through the food processor to aid in digestion.

Apples are also great to make a pug feel full. If your pug chews, you can give them quarters or slices. I have one pug that chews, the other gulps. The gulper gets smaller pieces.

Exercise is a must, just like with humans. Like everyone has stated, start slowly, then work up. If you have stairs, run him up and down. I haven't done the laser light thing, but some kind of interactive toy is great. Encourage him to play with your other pug with tug toys.  I don't do walks right now because it's dark when I get home and too stinking cold. So I toss a toy down the hall, they chase after it, sometimes they bring it back and I throw it again. I can sit on the couch and do that.

You can slice up apples, bananas, sweet potatoes, pears, etc. and dehydrate them in the oven to use as treats instead of milk bones or other treats. Put them in a jar or baggie so they are sealed up and they can last a long time. If you need a high value treat, make your own jerky from ground turkey.

My girls get bored with foods, so I switch it up with the treats. One or two bananas, then to apples, then to sweet potatoes. I'm in school, too, so I don't have a lot of time. I do tend to make bigger batches of dried stuff and then I freeze what I won't use within a month.

Good luck. It is possible to have a thin, healthy pug. It takes a lot of willpower on our parts because those little faces with those terribly sad eyes make use feel like they are starving, but if you have the healthy treats around, you can give them without guilt.
Bethy
Pugonaire
Pugonaire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:26 am Post subject: Re: Ok, Moe is terribly fat! Please help with diet ideas. Reply with quote

O.K................there is one very simple way to help your dog lose weight, and that is just not to feed hiim so much.
Whenever my kids start to fluff up, I simply cut back their ration.

I would give him 1/2 standard kitchen measuring cup, twice daily, and that's it!

They don't need treats, but if you have to give treats, limit it to ONE treat of some sort, right before bed at night.

You don't need high priced diet food, you don't need fancy low cal treats.......all you need to do is give him the amount of food above, and the weight will come off.

When we got Burt, our foster dog, he was enormously fat. I did what I'm telling you to do, and he's now the proper weight, and feeling much better.

The guilt you feel, not giving him a lot to eat, is something you have to get over, because he doesn't care, as long as he gets to eat. He doesn't know how much he is given, he just knows that he is given food.

This is the best way to get the extra weight off, and it will surprise you just how fast it  will come off, if you follow the plan.
_____
Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

Home of:
Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Wally
Champion Jellyroll Sherfame Bre-z Bea
Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Pogo
Champion Bre-z Manor's Frozen Assets
Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Jolly
Jellyroll Bre-z Sparkle"N"Bling....AKC major pointed
Rose's Serendipity, and Rose's Licker-ish our new show prospects
sphinx
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:52 am Post subject: Re: Ok, Moe is terribly fat! Please help with diet ideas. Reply with quote

OK, so what IS a healthy weight? When we got Otis and brought him to the vet, he weighed 20 lbs and she said that was ok. I think he might have gained a little bit since then cuz I had to loosen his collar. Not to mention he is *heavy*!! I was thinking for a while that my husband was feeding him too much, but I checked the scoop we use and it is only a cup...I guess it just looks like more in the bowl. We don't do a ton of treats. We do a spoonful of yogurt once a day, and when we have to leave him alone, we give him a kong with peanut butter to distract him while we depart...that's maybe only 2-3 times a week.

He gets at least 1 decent length walk every day.....since it got so cold we've cut it down, but he is so picky about where he goes potty, that  he often wants to go to the end of the road and back (2 houses) We also play every time he comes in, I get him to chase a ball from one end of the living room to the opposite end of what would be the dining room, but is not.

Oh, and Otis doesn't like any of those fruit and veggie treats! He doesn't care for bananas, carrots or apples! Sheesh!
atillasmom
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:46 pm Post subject: Re: Ok, Moe is terribly fat! Please help with diet ideas. Reply with quote

Does he get fed one cup once per day?  Not sure whether you meant maybe he was getting one cup twice per day.  If you're doing one feeding per day I would personally go to two feedings of 1/2 cup each.

The general rule is that if you stand over him, he should have a waist looking down from the top.  If you run your hands along his sides you should be able to feel his ribs, but you shouldn't be able to to count them.  Ideal weight depends on bone structure and overall size, so I'd ask the vet what she thinks is ideal.  Much to my surprise, my vet told us that our pugs were both at their ideal weight, but that Esther could stand to lose a pound. LoL  I guess we're used to seeing the pugs, who are built like little tanks, we weren't keeping Esther as lean and dachshies are supposed to be.
_____

Last edited by atillasmom on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
oxysback
Tail Chaser
Tail Chaser

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:03 pm Post subject: Re: Ok, Moe is terribly fat! Please help with diet ideas. Reply with quote

Amber is right...1/2 cup, twice daily. Our pug actually gets 1/3 cup, twice, and it works well for us.

Don't eyeball the 1/2 cup. Get an actual 1/2 cup measure from your kitchen and do it that way. It's really easy to fudge the measurement if you're using the 1 cup.

Our pug was 24 pounds and over one year we have her down to 17. Our vet is amazed! His first comment is usually, "Pugs just don't lose weight!" Smile
_____
Get registered or Log in

Ellen & Frankie
Resident thread killers!
Froguy
Puglova
Puglova

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:33 pm Post subject: Re: Ok, Moe is terribly fat! Please help with diet ideas. Reply with quote

allyzabethe wrote (View Post):

You can slice up apples, bananas, sweet potatoes, pears, etc. and dehydrate them in the oven to use as treats instead of milk bones or other treats.

Please share how to do: temp of oven, how long, etc.  Thanks!!!
_____
Get registered or Log in

Ann pugmom to Frodo
MagicRe
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:19 pm Post subject: Re: Ok, Moe is terribly fat! Please help with diet ideas. Reply with quote

bubba weighs 18.4 at last weigh in.
he eats 1/3 cup kibble (wellness) twice a day, plus 1 tsp. missing link once per day, plus either 1/2 tsp of boiled chicken, greek yoghurt or wild alaskan salmon. He also gets a smidge of pumpkin or squash or carrot or string bean.

he is walked five or six times a day, as he is a rescue and has peeing issues and fear issues.

so total walk is approximately 2-3 miles per day when all is said and done.

he also plays with our other dog....and he's maintained this weight since we got him. he measures 20" across the broad part of his chest and he seems a little smaller than his fawn counterpart.
memere57
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:53 am Post subject: Re: Ok, Moe is terribly fat! Please help with diet ideas. Reply with quote

I agree with the walking.....I walk Maxie 2 miles a day. She was overweight for awhile, but with the walking she's down to a good weight of 16 pounds.
_____
Denise
Maxie's Mom

[img][/img]
Get registered or Log in
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  Help! My Pug is . . . Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: