Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1479 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - I want to breed my pug
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am
allyzabethe View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Is a PUG right for me? No Pug Yet - But Plenty of Questions! NJRonbo 21 Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:24 pm
PugsCom View latest post
how to stop 1 yr old male from scratching my walls Puppies! Gotta Love 'Em, But . . . scottg 2 Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:09 pm
scottg View latest post
Strawberry bump on lip Help! My Pug is . . . dvdchrisc 6 Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:23 pm
LaylaPie View latest post
Allergies Help! My Pug is . . . dphiebeatle 13 Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:19 am
joecast40 View latest post
Please Help Winston Walk Pug Patter Winniewiggle 2 Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:07 am
joecast40 View latest post

I want to breed my pug

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> Breeding Pugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LolasMomma
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:41 am Post subject: I want to breed my pug Reply with quote

I really want to breed my 4 year old pug Lola, and have found a suitable stud. My concern is all the horror stories I have heard of. I am not her first owner, but she has had pups before according to my vet. Any information would be greatly appreciated!! I am prepared to do all the things like encourage feeding and breaking sacs, I am a stay at home mom, and not breeding for show, but for companionship!
Thanks in advance,
Jenn Stunned
atillasmom
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:37 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Go to the breeding forum and read the "Reasons not to breed" and "read this before you post" stickies. Personally I would not breed a pug just for companionship. There's too much that can go wrong and I feel like you should have the knowledge and experience to breed to the standard. It's a very touchy issue, so I just want to say before you get any more responses, that everyone on this site cares deeply about pugs, and if they sound harsh it's because they're concerned about your pug and her future puppies.

Just for starters-- you need to have genetic testing done and you should know at least several generations back whether there were health issues. Pugs can have horrific genetic issues as a result of careless genetic screening. Make sure the stud has also had genetic testing and has been tested for STDs. GET A CONTRACT and read some of the stories in the breeding section about what can happen when the contract requires that you give a puppy back to the stud owner.

Have an emergency c-section fund. Pugs are notoriously prone to difficult deliveries.

Make sure you can reach your vet at any hour.

Get a mentor who has done it before.

And most importantly, please consider your motives. Do you want to improve the standard or do you just think it would be fun? Breeding can be heartbreaking. One of our members who is very experienced lost an entire litter not long ago. You need to be prepared to make tough decisions if something happens and you need to put a puppy or the mother down.

Good luck and I honestly wish you the best.
_____
Amber mommy of Atilla and Wicket, the pugs
coleman
Pugfessional
Pugfessional

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:07 pm Post subject: Re: I want to breed my pug Reply with quote

Amber has made valid points and given good advise.....if your reason for breeding is companionship....instead of putting such a huge risk on your girls life-and your heart-and pocketbook- You may be better off adopting or fostering a pug in need.  Or if you really want to raise a puppy- find a reputable breeder and adopt a companion puppy....MUCH MUCH less risky all around.
_____
Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." -Louis Sabin
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  Breeding Pugs Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: