Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1587 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - scratching like crazy help!!!!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am
allyzabethe View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Is a PUG right for me? No Pug Yet - But Plenty of Questions! NJRonbo 23 Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:29 pm
NJRonbo View latest post
Itching and scratching Pug Patter sweetie 3 Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:21 pm
Becky01007 View latest post
crusty nose Old Timers Ginapub 8 Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:26 pm
Rumples View latest post
5 month old just ate a hair grip Old Timers PretzelThePug 1 Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:16 pm
Rumples View latest post
Traveling with Chance Old Timers joecast40 2 Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:11 am
joecast40 View latest post

scratching like crazy help!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> Help! My Pug is . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonbon
Snarfler
Snarfler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:18 am Post subject: scratching like crazy help!!!! Reply with quote

Hi All, My poor Biffle has this itch problem on his hind quarters...He does not have fleas, we give him oatmeal baths, and just rocks back and forth and crys cause he really cannot get to his itch, he even comes to me to scratch it for him but I never seem to be able to quite find it..Does anyone know if Benedryl will help him/hurt him, or is there something else i can try...He does not scratch anywhere else on his body, just his hind quarters...thanks Bonnie
MomtoMaxx
Pug Paradice
Pug Paradice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:14 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Bonnie Benedryl may help Biffle if the itching is a result of allergies. Have you spoken to the vet about his itching? Is the skin dry or are you maybe over bathing him. I am bumping this hoping that someone with more experience can help you.
_____
Joyce - Momma to Maxx

(Forever in my heart my precious Max who runs free at the bridge 07-2012)
PugChick
Snarfler
Snarfler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:14 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

I got dermcaps and an antibiotic, cephalexin (SP?) for Weezer at the Vet. Those have really helped.
CubbyVet
Tail Chaser
Tail Chaser

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:16 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

There are a number of things it could be. They include worms (if he's scooting and scratching at the rear), environmental allergies, and maybe food allergies. I would talk to your vet but the standard dose of benedryl is 1/2-1 mg/lb and the adult tabs are 25 mg. I switched to raw diet and that certainly helps but you should be feeding a high quality food with no corn or soy and a novel protein (such as duck or rabbit) fo 4-6 weeks to rule out food allergies. You might try only bathing once every 4 weeks or so with a hypoallergenic shampoo.
_____
Bonbon
Snarfler
Snarfler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:09 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Thanks the vet is getting a call this morning...I feel so bad for him cause it seems like it is making him crazy...
momsmagnet
Pug Paradice
Pug Paradice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:38 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hope the little guy feels better soon. Keep us posted
_____
Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

Pam, Saphyra and Morpheus
View user's profile Send personal message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MomtoMaxx
Pug Paradice
Pug Paradice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:59 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

I am sure the vet will give you something to stop the itching and give you suggestions as to what to do. Please keep us posted
_____
Joyce - Momma to Maxx

(Forever in my heart my precious Max who runs free at the bridge 07-2012)
allyzabethe
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:16 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

A short term solution that helped Petunia was Gold Bond powder. She was having an allergic reaction, so the baby Benadryl did help somewhat.

Good luck. It's horrible watching them suffer like that.
enafaye
Pugfessional
Pugfessional

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:44 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hope the itchiness stops soon. Has this happened before?
pug909
Snarfler
Snarfler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:37 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Cleo gets itchy on her hind quarters and it's seasonal allergies. Last year I used a steroid, but I don't like steriods, so she's on a prescription antihestimine this year. It's helped quite a bit, but not 100%.
rudismith
Puglet
Puglet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:57 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

My dog is having a similar issue, but only its with the underside of his front paws. He has allergies and takes antihistamines everyday, but they do not help 100%. Lately, he has been biting at his front paws and has been licking them...the licking and biting has made them red and irritated. I feel so bad for him, but I don't know what else to do other than continue giving him his medicine and try to keep him from licking his front paws. About 4 months ago I changed his food to a cheaper brand, but I think I'm going to change back to the more expensive kind to see if that helps his allergies improve at all. Good luck with your dog and finding something to relieve his itching!!
Dunkin_Cricket
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:46 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

one of my pugs has allergies.....it was awful trying to figure out the triggers. he would chew on his paws, and the insides of his back legs got really red and "crusty". he also lost some hair on his chest. we did benadryl/prednisone for a while...which did help, but i hated having him on steroids so much. after about 6 months of this, we opted for blood allergy testing. this of course was after multiple skin scrapings, and ruling out fleas, mange, etc. the bloodwork was about $400, very pricey, but we finally have a happy, itch free pug. the testing determined 16 trees/grasses/molds/housedust that he is moderately to severely allergic to...for these, he gets monthly allergy shots to help him feel better. it also determined food stuff he's allergic to: wheat, beef, barley, alfalfa, green peas, and white potatoes. i have to say i'm so happy we did the testing....i never would have figured out all that food stuff on my own....and i didn't even know there was alfalfa in lots of dog foods! we feed them pinnacle trout and sweet potato formula, and found treats they can have as well. food stuff is avoidance, which is hard. every now and then he has a flare up, but we've been doing shots for 1.5 years, and only had him on benadryl 3 times in that time, and prednisone for like 7 days....HUGE improvement....though it's funny in our house when i cook.....if i'm cooking peas and one hits the floor, it's me against the pugs to get it so dunkin doesn't eat it! *sigh* the things we do for our pugs! Smile
My advice, chat with your vet to see if it's allergies....the testing is quite expensive, but we had gone other routes, and to me, it was money well spent! good luck!

dunkin and crickets mom
Dory2004
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:55 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Sometimes when Dory (our oldest Pug) has clogged up anal glands, she gets itchy and scoots her bottom on the ground. More recently, she's had trouble with bug bites on her little butt so she itches those, but Cortaid does the trick for that (and she's too stout to reach it to lick it off).
Carmen, our youngest, simply has sensitive skin so we mix Sensitive Skin food in with a little light food to keep her from getting fat... it really seems to help. It very well could be allergies, though.
See what your vet says.
mandylou24
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:08 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Aw, I know EXACTLY what you are going thru, my baby Roxie, itches so much on her back that sometime it gets bloody, I got some stuff from the vet but it didn't seem to help. We recently moved from East Texas to the Texas Panhandle, and that helped in fact it just about stpped it all together. When we went back to East Texas and were there for about two weeks for our wedding, it started all over again. So now I am battling this all over again. This time the medicing is not working. The vet just wants to give me steroids for her, but I refuse b/c I had a friend who had a pug die from being on steroids. Bio-Groom Natural Oatmeal Anit-Itch Soothing Shampoo and some Creme Rinse Conditioner works for a short time. When it is a real bad attack I give her childrens Benadryl. However that knocks her out so I have to be careful. I am hoping that this winter it gets better, because the heat also makes this problem worse.
allyzabethe
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:09 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

mandylou24 wrote:
We recently moved from East Texas to the Texas Panhandle, and that helped in fact it just about stpped it all together. When we went back to East Texas and were there for about two weeks for our wedding, it started all over again

This makes me think that your Roxie could have outdoor allergies. For example, she may be allergic to some tree or pollen that grows in east Texas, but not the panhandle. One of my dogs has an outdoor allergy. We swim a lot which helps rinse off the pollen. Maybe you could rinse your dog off instead of bathing. Too much bathing can make them itchy, too.

Petunia (allergic one) did really well on Gold Bond powder. There's also a cream that might be more useful on paws. Not a large investment and you can't really overdose them on it.

Neither of my girls even yawns when I give them Benadryl, but I wonder if reducing the dose would help your dog? Check with your vet on that one, though.

You may also want to consider dietary changes to help with itchiness. I started my girls on cod liver oil and brewer's yeast with garlic. Their general itchiness is greatly reduced, even with swimming in chlorinated water.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  Help! My Pug is . . . Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: