Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1367 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - Help! Pug with Mast Cell Cancer
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Corneal laceration Pug Patter afdani1984 2 Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:42 pm
PugsCom View latest post
Pug has neurological issues... Advice needed please!! Help! My Pug is . . . Dawson9a 11 Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:40 am
afdani1984 View latest post
Hemivertebrae Help! My Pug is . . . Alex88 2 Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:19 pm
PugsCom View latest post
tracheostomy in pugs Help! My Pug is . . . rosebaby 1 Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:08 am
My mooji is 51 days pregnant and due July 20 Breeding Pugs TerraC 5 Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:46 am

Help! Pug with Mast Cell Cancer

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> Help! My Pug is . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pugsnotdrugs
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:51 pm Post subject: Help! Pug with Mast Cell Cancer Reply with quote

I need some help quickly as my almost 7 year old precious angel pug Cristie was just diagnosed with a mast cell tumor right next to her anus. The vet took a needle aspiration and looked at it under the microscope and she said it looked to be mast cell cancer so she scheduled my Cristie for surgery next Tuesday, June 5th to remove it and as much tissue around it as she can. She can't remove nearly the amount of tissue around the tumor as is necessary to try and get all of the cancer cells because of the location (this would mean going into her anal canal which would result in total incontinence and would be dangerous.) Cristie is also going to have her teeth cleaned while she is "under" because they are very bad as I never understood the imortance of brushing dogs teeth until recently. I feel that I need to change her and my other 2 femalr puggies to a better diet but especially Cristie since she has cancer and from the research I have been doing a lot of since I found out about her condition last Wed., it sounds like it is important for a dog battling cancer not to have carbs in their diet. I am not at all opposed to a raw diet if that is what is best for prolonging all of my puggies lives, but I know there must be certain foods and supplements that would be best for a pug with cancer. Is there anyone out there who has been in this dilema and can advise me?
azurja
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:08 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

There is a lot of information out there on this. This site alone has several threads on mast cell tumors.

Start by doing a search on this site to see what they have to say.

Then I went to a site called onibasu.com and put in a few checkmarks in the boards to check, but the most results came from the K9nutrition board when I typed in mast cell tumor. There were MANY messages on this - some linking them to vaccinations, others saying that some breeds are just more susceptible (boxers), and some who had the tumors removed and other who chose not to. Evidently when caught in stage one, or possibly stage 2, there are some good alternatives. But when in stage 2-3, then it seems to be better to remove it based on what I was reading. They do mention specific treatments and/or supplements.

Also, here is an inpsiring story on cancer recovery. One of the folks on this site actually knows this woman.
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

I've never experienced it myself, but if you decide on a raw diet and need any advice, there are several here who are feeding (including me) and many resources we can point you to in that aspect.
View user's profile Send personal message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dsbundy
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:48 pm Post subject: Mast Cell Cancer Reply with quote

My pug just recently was diagnosed with a stage 2 mast cell tumor under his hind leg and up by his belly. We had the tumor removed in March and have been carefully watching him for any regrowths. We asked our vet in Walnut Creek CA about changing his diet and he told us he did not think that was necessary and he did not think there was any relation between the tumor and his diet.

If he develops another tumor we may look in to doing radiation depending on the severity/ location. That could be an option for your pug after your vet removes as much of the tumor as possible. There is a lot of information on the web if you google mast cell tumors.

We will be thinking of you and your pug. Best of luck!
Montanapug
PugtaterQween
PugtaterQween

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:21 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Innova makes a wonderful kibble and wet food called EVO it is grain free, comes in a RM(red meat) formula as well as a chicken/turkey variety. It is VERY lo carb and would be a nice alternative if you did not have the time to do a raw diet.
There are many pre-packaged frozen raw diets on the market as well, Nature's Variety is one.
I am very sorry you and your pug are facing this.
_____
Shirley:

AKC Mjr Pt´d HIT Treasure´s Bronn To Be Wild, CD RE CGC
Lakina´s Cosmic Force, CD RE HCT HIC
CH Rose´s Four Wheelin´ Fancy, CD
AKC Mjr Pt'd Treasure's Eye of The Tiger
Treasure's Mercy Me
Casey Tedy & Scout, beloved rescues.

TRAIN, don't COMPLAIN

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
PYK3
Puggus Maximus
Puggus Maximus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:31 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Welcome to the site, so sorry to hear about Christie. I hope you find this site helpful to you during this scary time. We are here to offer our support and many here can offer advice. Hope to see you around.
_____
El, Mom to Keeyahshah and Akina

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

<a>PitaPata Dog tickers</a>

<a>PitaPata Dog tickers</a>
gersus
Pugfessional
Pugfessional

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:37 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

I want to welcome you to this wonderful site filled with wonderful, helpful, people. I am very sorry to hear about Cristie. I am sending lots of prayers and puggie hugs your way. group hug
_____
heart Susan, Rex, & Izzy

Pugs are like potato chips. . . you can't have just one. Smile
Bellas_mom
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:19 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

I am so sorry. Please continue to keep us updated. Good luck with your search for the raw food info. I am sure you can find lots right here. It's a wonderful resource!
kimigirl
Tail Chaser
Tail Chaser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:30 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

My mom's pug Gracie had a mast cell tumor behind her right front leg. She had it removed surgically and has been doing well. She hasn't had a reoccurence or anything.
The biggest thing will be watching for reoccurence. In your case because they won't be able to remove all of it, you will probably have to do radiaition or chemo. Th evet will be able to tell you more about that aspect than I can. We were lucky enough that Gracie didn't have to get radiation.
As for food, my parent's dogs get Nutro, and my Michiko gets Canidae. They are both good foods, I prefer the Canidae because it doesn't have preservatives like the commercial foods, and because its got several protein sources including fish for Omega 3's to keep her coat healthy. They are all hard foods that helps with the teeth a little. I also brush Michiko's teeth at least once a week. I'd do it more but I think she gets traumatized after being tackled for the once a week. Laughing

At any rate, I hope that things will turn out ok. Please keep us posted on how your puggy is doing!
azurja
Pugge Grande
Pugge Grande

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:48 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Just ran across another situation on another board. The dog has a mast cell tumor, and the vet prescribed prednisone, but the life expectation is 3 months. Someone wrote her back saying that her whippet had been diagnosed with the same thing, the vet wanted to amputate the leg, she chose to go holistically and with diet changes, supplements, etc., the tumor went away. She said that there are some cancer support groups that helped her. I will try to find out what they are if you wish.

-- jayne
View user's profile Send personal message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  Help! My Pug is . . . Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: