Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1042 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - Eating Problems In 10 Year Old Pug
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Any techniques on getting pug pups to settle? Help! My Pug is . . . krash54 5 Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:10 am
Uncontrollable pug! Help! Help! My Pug is . . . Jenni 2 Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:57 pm
pulled muscle in back leg Help! My Pug is . . . mrchristmas 8 Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:20 am
Pregnant Pug Help! My Pug is . . . Pomymomy 2 Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:59 pm
Pomymomy View latest post
Pug has neurological issues... Advice needed please!! Help! My Pug is . . . Dawson9a 10 Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:26 pm
PugsCom View latest post

Eating Problems In 10 Year Old Pug

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> Old Timers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deb49
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:28 am Post subject: Eating Problems In 10 Year Old Pug Reply with quote

Hi there. I sure hope someone can advise me on how to get my sweet 10 year old dog Sadie to eat her dry kibble food. I have been feeding her Iams Senior Dog Food mixed with Iams Lower calarie dry food for a long time now. The past couple of weeks I'll put food in her bowl, and she won't touch it. She will eat canned dog food: but I had to coax her to get her started eating that. Once she did eat some of that, her strength seemed to increase. I took her to the vet today; had a full panel blood work done on her: and all her vital organs seem to be fine; accept for a slightly raised glucose level, whicht he Vet said could be caused from stress at going to he Vet's. The Vet gave me 3 cans of Hills Prescription Diet/Canine i/d. He said this is bland dog food. Sadie ate the whole can today. The Vet says he prefers even older dogs to eat dry dog foods: a senior blend of older dogs. Does anyone know of a real good dry dog food for Sadie: something to maybe stimulate her appetite? She refuses to eat the Iams dry dog food.
I was so afraid when Sadie stopped eating; for we lost her Pug mate Hobbs a few months ago, to diabettes. He had lost his appetite also: and by the time we got him to the Vet, the diabettes was so advanced...he died within 2 weeks of the Vet appointment. Anyway, I hope someone can offer some helpful advice: I love Sadie so much, and want her to be around for a long time yet. Debbie
maggiemaysmom
Pug Paradice
Pug Paradice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:37 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Poor Sadie! She may be mourning the loss of her companion, thus the decreased appetite. At this point, I'd feed her whatever she will eat just to keep her appetite stimulated until she's perked back up to her normal self. If her appetite continues to remain off, and her glucose stays high, then it would be wise to have them test her again for diabetes specifically.
_____
Jennifer Mom to Wrinks, Lola & Maggie May
Photobucket
Photobucket
triumph
Puggish
Puggish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:05 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

I agree with maggie mays mom let her eat what she wants but keep an eye on her gluclose levels she is probably mourning the lose of her buddy. I know I woud be. when triumph lost his friend even for the few days he was gone he wouldn't eat . triumph tobee and I will keep you and your baby in our prayers. you can also try purina senior dry food and see if she likes that but i would let her eat what she wants for awhile. here are some puggie hugs group hug We Care
pugtastic
dePUGties
dePUGties

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:49 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

If she is eating soft ,canned but is refusing to touch hard, dry food ... maybe therein lies the problem? Did the vet have a look at her teeth? It is possible that she might have a sore mouth, infected tooth or something like that which is just too painful for her to chew on the hard food? Has she had a dental before? Having had 2 senior puggies before ... her teeth is probably what I'd be checking out!
Bethy
Pugonaire
Pugonaire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:13 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

That's just what I was going to suggest. With so many teeth in a mouth that is so small, pugs need to be monitored regularly for mouth and tooth problems. My 4 year old just had his first dental and he needed 2 of his molars pulled, and he's only 4! Have a dental done, and while they clean and polish her teeth, they can check for any tooth or gum problems that may be causing her enough pain to make her not want to eat.
_____
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

Home of:
Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Wally
Champion Jellyroll Sherfame Bre-z Bea
Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Pogo
Champion Bre-z Manor's Frozen Assets
Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Jolly
Jellyroll Bre-z Sparkle"N"Bling....AKC major pointed
Rose's Serendipity, and Rose's Licker-ish our new show prospects
PYK3
Puggus Maximus
Puggus Maximus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:29 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

It is possible Sadie is grieving. My 13 year old pug has lost two sisters. After our first Pug, Pudgie, died two years ago. Yoda (the 13 yr. old) wouldn't eat for several days. Then when Nikita died she refused to chew on bones. She also lost her appetite for about a week. Now we have a new Pug and Yoda eats, but only after Keeyahshah is out of the room and she plays like she was two and chews bones again. She was really showing her age and once Kee came along she is as happy as a puppy and almost as much energy. I hadn't seen her run in years.
I think animals are like people and just need some time to accept major changes in their lives.
mom2dogs
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:34 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

One thing you could try that I find a lot of dogs (seniors, picky eaters, etc.) really like is the food from The Honest Kitchen.
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

I love their products, they are made from 100% human grade ingredients, and are made in a plant that proccesses human food. You could eat it yourself and wouldn't have to worry about a thing. Laughing Razz

Assuming that there is no medical condition.
_____
~ mom2dogs

"You did then what you knew how to do and when you knew better... you did better" - Maya Angelou

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
romeoandyogi
Snarfler
Snarfler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:32 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Debbie, my 7 year old pug Romeo died just 4 days after being diagnosed with diabetes...he developed ketoacidosis and then stopped eating too. It wasn't the diabetes though that led to his crossing the bridge; despite treatment for the diabetes, he still wasn't eating, so ultrasounds of his abdomen were done and exploratory surgery revealed cancer. I'm not trying to scare you at all, just sharing a story. Romeo wouldn't eat his dry kibble, but he certainly would gobble up his favorite soft treats that were mixed with his dry kibble, and in the process of eating the treats he would accidentally eat some kibble. Have you tried mixing dry food with the canned food?

I hope Saide feels better soon, please keep us posted.

Susan
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  Old Timers Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: