Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1377 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - ear flush for pug
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Hemivertebrae Help! My Pug is . . . Alex88 3 Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:01 am
afdani1984 View latest post
Corneal laceration Pug Patter afdani1984 3 Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:04 am
Pug has neurological issues... Advice needed please!! Help! My Pug is . . . Dawson9a 11 Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:40 am
tracheostomy in pugs Help! My Pug is . . . rosebaby 1 Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:08 am
My mooji is 51 days pregnant and due July 20 Breeding Pugs TerraC 5 Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:46 am

ear flush for pug

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> Help! My Pug is . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kristin16
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:37 am Post subject: ear flush for pug Reply with quote

our vet prescribed 3 medicines for our 5 year old pug and said he needs and ear flush which requires him to be knocked out. The meds seem to be helping and the ear flush is very expensive. It is not that I don't trust the vet I just want to know if I should go ahead with ear flush even without the vet doing a recheck on his ears???
Sampsonite
Snarfler
Snarfler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:30 pm Post subject: Re: ear flush for pug Reply with quote

I would check with your vet again and have your pug looked at it. What are the vets reasons for doing the ear flush??? Is this something that is happening often??? Does the vet feel this is absolutely necessary???? You could always get a second opinion.
_____
Sampson & Delilah
View user's profile Send personal message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kristin16
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:31 pm Post subject: Re: ear flush for pug Reply with quote

The vet said the reason for this was he has a bad middle ear infection that he could not clean out unless he was put asleep, but the medicine seems to have cleared a lot of things I told the vet. His response was the underlying problem was probably still in his ears. I am nervous about this procedure on top of being over $1000 and his last visit to tell us this and give us the meds was $450. I was wondering how successful this deep ear flush is also??
Sampsonite
Snarfler
Snarfler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:32 pm Post subject: Re: ear flush for pug Reply with quote

WHEWWW Thats a lot of money just for the visit!!!!! If I were in your shoes I would get a second opinion. My pug Sampson gets frequent ear infections and the vet usually gives him a topical treatment (drops/salve) for his ear as well as some oral meds. I don't have any experience with the ear flushing but if the infection is so far down the meds may not be reaching it completely. I would think that is where the oral meds would help out.

I could understand if this was recurring frequently or he was just not getting over the infection that it might be necessary.

Again, I would seek a second opinion.
_____
Sampson & Delilah
View user's profile Send personal message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kristin16
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:34 pm Post subject: Re: ear flush for pug Reply with quote

thanks for the info.
puggytaz
Pugfessional
Pugfessional

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:10 am Post subject: Re: ear flush for pug Reply with quote

I think I would get a second opinion.
_____
Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

Karen, Taz, Holly, Duckie & Nibbler - the dog-like kitty!
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in
pugmuffinsmomma
Pugaholic
Pugaholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:18 pm Post subject: Re: ear flush for pug Reply with quote

Yes, I too, would get a second opinion. Not only for your peace of mind, but another vet may be somewhat cheaper for the procedure than what your vet quoted you at. Ask friends or co-workers or others that use a different office and see who gets good feedback and then go with it.
_____
Get registered or Log in
kristin16
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:53 pm Post subject: Re: ear flush for pug Reply with quote

i think that we decided to continue with the meds and unless theres a change in him, we will put the precedure on hold. The issue with getting a second opinion is now i would most likely have to run another series of tests and another doctors visit charge. He's been on the meds almost two weeks now and seems like a whole new dog. I understand that there could be an issue beyond what i see, but i would like to get the vet to take a look now and maybe the meds have done the trick. Alot better thank jumping into the deep ear flush.
shamus18201
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:57 am Post subject: Re: ear flush for pug Reply with quote

i take queenie to bvet an she cleans ears twice ha a infection gave drops to put in and i use the cleans pads but she does not like it, i check her ears each day, i see some wax in ear not much but clean outer ear also, she rubs her head alot but vet said it is habit. an  she licks her front paw also. should i be doing more, i take to vet for regular checkups adn updated shots, i just worry about her she is my pride and joy and best friend adn so lovable adn learnign some new tricks, too please help if i have to take her again to bet for ear cleaning or check up  i donlt see any redness, just so wax thanks shamus  pugs are the  best i love her so much, thanks shamus
MagicRe
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:15 pm Post subject: Re: ear flush for pug Reply with quote

our pug's ear canals are very narrow...one is so narrow that the ear drum cannot be seen.

we did have the surgery to have his ears flushed....

but it cost us 168. dollars, not a thousand...wow...

even a scraping would not have cost that much.

we were lucky in that what he did have was a wax plug and some hair.....and now he's fine.
sazzle
Snarfler
Snarfler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:58 am Post subject: Re: ear flush for pug Reply with quote

Stevies ears are always getting manked up with gunk and he itches them quite badly. we've tried all sorts to get him sorted, but we cant find a food that stops it or a permanent solution to the problem so we just maintain regular cleaning with non fragranced baby wipes for the outer and a prescribed solution for the inner, which seem to relieve him a lot.

hes 5 years old and we're always in and out of our vets but its never anything that costs any more than £10 a time [or about $6]. Our bottle of solution lasts about 6 months!
if antibiotics are required for infection its usually about £40 for us.

your vet sounds a bit dodgey to me and VERY expensive, i would definitely get a second opinion! at the end of the day its all about how happy your dog is. if there doesnt appear to be anything wrong at the moment and the hearing is ok then i wouldnt rush to put him through any surgery
gigi1
Puglova
Puglova

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:18 pm Post subject: Re: ear flush for pug Reply with quote

did you find out the status of your dogs ear infection - my pug may have an inner ear infection
gigi1
Puglova
Puglova

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:28 pm Post subject: Re: ear flush for pug Reply with quote

did you find out the status of your dogs ear infection - my pug may have an inner ear infection
AHodel
Tail Chaser
Tail Chaser

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:29 pm Post subject: Re: ear flush for pug Reply with quote

wow!  I also would seek another opinion.  If the ear infections are a chronic problem, have you considered that it may be triggered by an allergy of sorts?  I think if I were you, I would be seeking first get through this infection, but secondary to that - I would want to isolate and determine what is causing the infections and start behaving very pro-active to work against it in the first place.  I am sure you are also anxious to discover whatever changes can be adopted to stop this.

Abby was having a lot of ear infections and we discovered two factors that were contributing.  1) She must have had a food allergy, when we changed her food to a different brand the infections stopped being such a problem.  2) We discovered that even a bit of water from rinsing her head after a bath can trigger an ear infection - so after a bath or after swimming we make certain to use the dog ear wash/rinse really good for a couple of days and now, knocking on wood - it has been about 6 months since her last infection.

Your poor baby  very sad  - I  hope the infection is all better really soon!
_____
Respectfully yours With twice as much Pug Love,

Get registered or Log in
Get registered or Log in

Abby, Isabella & me (Alisa)
Luzern Switzerland
gigi1
Puglova
Puglova

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:20 am Post subject: Re: ear flush for pug Reply with quote

My jack has to have a ear flush procedure.   He has chronic ear infections and the doctor also suggested food allergies.   His head tilted to the right so hopefully it return to normal.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  Help! My Pug is . . . Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: