Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1030 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - Allergies? Common and odd symptoms
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Any techniques on getting pug pups to settle? Help! My Pug is . . . krash54 5 Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:10 am
Uncontrollable pug! Help! Help! My Pug is . . . Jenni 2 Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:57 pm
pulled muscle in back leg Help! My Pug is . . . mrchristmas 8 Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:20 am
Pregnant Pug Help! My Pug is . . . Pomymomy 2 Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:59 pm
Pomymomy View latest post
Pug has neurological issues... Advice needed please!! Help! My Pug is . . . Dawson9a 10 Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:26 pm
PugsCom View latest post

Allergies? Common and odd symptoms
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> Help! My Pug is . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnnmarieDSLR
Puglet
Puglet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:10 pm Post subject: Re: Allergies? Common and odd symptoms Reply with quote

I gave her the Benadryl at 11am and she is still showing a bit of itchiness. Nothing whatsoever like this morning - that was frantic! Sctatching her side and under her chin a bit which is sort of new.

I really wanted to try a basic meal tonight but I only have access to the chicken, brown rice and veggies. No way of getting fish, venison, buffalo, bison, or duck.  See, I am thinking maybe it is an additive or grain in the food that is causing this - isit usually only the protein source?  I do have potatoes to sub for the rice.

But you think I should stay with the food the doc recommended even though it has meal and bi products and wait and see? That would leave us in the same position she is in today.  She is in such distress.

The bath would be to wash off any pollen, residue, dust or flakes but just a light sudsing with a good rinse.

I will IM my husband (who is watching this thread from work - hi honey) and have him pick up the panties on his way home. Thanks honey! Get pink ones.  Smile

Her skin is not pink or red. It never is - not now nor when she is scratching. It does get warm though. The one area we did see redness was the tip of her tail. That was very hard to actually see. My husband held her, my son held a flashlight and we looked all over and found redness just there.

Right now I can pet her all over her body with no reaction but try petting her during the morning episodes and she will nip that area. It is highly sensitive at that time. Now - nothing.
MagicRe
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:29 pm Post subject: Re: Allergies? Common and odd symptoms Reply with quote

when i was talking about swaddling, i meant to do it before the behaviour...i think someone suggested trying to beat her to the punch...since you pretty much know when she's going to start her ritual and it surely does sound like a ritual....

perhaps you can stop it before it starts.....and if you swaddle her, it might be comforting....for her plus it would redirect her behaviour....and distract her from going into a behaviour that is hurting her.

it's just a thought, but whatever you do, i would suggest that you do it before she starts her routine....

i have my own views on foods....i love my vet. i think he's the bestest in the whole world, but when it comes to dog nutrition, his words not mine....he took a three credit course and that's his expertise on nutrition.....but we would talk about it...

and here is what we came up with for what we thought were allergy dogs...

1. he said, don't waste your money on getting bandit allergy tested....there are simply too many allergens and we cannot test for them all and they are expensive.

2. if you have the time and the money, cook for him...reason being, you know what the ingredients are..plus, kibble is processed, so it's like feeding your dog captain crunch :)

3. using low glycemic foods....plus a protein....can't hurt and most likely will help you discern whether or not you're dealing with a food allergy or something else....thing is...chicken in kibble is not the same as the chicken you would cook. it has to do with the way it's processed.

since dogs cannot process veggies, run them through a cuisinart....with the rice and the protein or the sweet potato and protein....and voila...add fish oil and berte's immune blend and you've got yourself a well balanced meal...

she is a puppy mill dog..and they are very special and almost always psychologically damaged in some way....we know that bubba will never be quite right...had he been raised in a loving home and we'll do what we can to make him safe when he's never known safety...but malia, our other rescue is frightened of wind storms....she was born in the wild and found her way to our home when she was five or so weeks old...she's never gotten over it...and she's ten....she shakes and quivers.......the rest of the time, she's the perfect dog....

this is just my two cents, but i think you've got a few things going on...one is psychological...one might be food....
PYK3
Puggus Maximus
Puggus Maximus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:14 pm Post subject: Re: Allergies? Common and odd symptoms Reply with quote

Though if it comes down to just chicken and there is only one piece left Tootsie gets it - my son can go to Mc Donalds.

Love it!

I agree about not trying too many things at once--to me I guess I would rule out the food allergies first.  If it itsn't that you at least have  a starting point.  
The swadling is a great idea.
Good luck.
_____
El, Mom to Keeyahshah and Akina

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

<a>PitaPata Dog tickers</a>

AnnmarieDSLR
Puglet
Puglet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:40 am Post subject: Re: Allergies? Common and odd symptoms Reply with quote

Well hubby's definition of a baby onsie and my definition of a baby onsie are different as you will see.

He stopped at our local pet shop and they did not have the panties suggested here. Next stop was Babies R Us for a couple of onsies.

Tootsie now owns 2 pairs of footie pajamas! LOL! In pink no less! ROFLMAO!!!  We had no problem putting them on her - she stayed as still as a model. We made a few modifications and she has been running around with the hot pink selection since 6 pm.

I simply cannot stop laughing though. See, we never had a girl anything - nothing sissy or prissy in this house - not me, not my sis, no pets, nada. No girly stuff.

And now we have Miss Tootsie in her hot pink pajamas. She looks like a girl who wanted so much to get into that size 8 prom gown , bought it but really needed the size 12. I am from Long Island - I have seen these things. ;)

Going to try an upload a pic. She seems very comfortable and has not scratched at all. Not sure what that means just yet but we are keeping our fingers crossed. If the compression is what is helping then that's one issue. The food would be another. For right now all we want is her to be comfortable and not hurt herself. Just for today. One day at a time ....

Hmmm - I cannot find the function to upload an image. I do not have it hosted - simply on my HD.
PYK3
Puggus Maximus
Puggus Maximus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:59 am Post subject: Re: Allergies? Common and odd symptoms Reply with quote

You have got to post that,  I am laughing so hard.
then copy the image html and paste in to your message.

I had to call my sister and read this to her.  She has 3 boys and loved spoiling my daughter with anything pink.  She wasn't a pink sort of girl but my sister did her best to make her one.
_____

Get registered or Log in

AnnmarieDSLR
Puglet
Puglet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:10 am Post subject: Re: Allergies? Common and odd symptoms Reply with quote

Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Here she is - no laughing.   Smile
PYK3
Puggus Maximus
Puggus Maximus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:52 am Post subject: Re: Allergies? Common and odd symptoms Reply with quote

Ok, I didn't laugh but she certainly put a huge smile on my face.  She is adorable.
I did chuckle a little.
What a nice vision just before I go to bed.  Thanks
_____

Get registered or Log in

AnnmarieDSLR
Puglet
Puglet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:50 am Post subject: Re: Allergies? Common and odd symptoms Reply with quote

Now we do NOT want to get ahead of ourselves but we are calling this The Miracle of the Pink Pajamas.

Tootsie slep from about 11:30 pm until 5ish am, in the pajamas but she did not scratch one bit AND layed with us quietly until about 7:15 am - 15 minutes before the alarm.

Was it the pajamas?
Did the food kick in?
Did the Benadryl help? It didn't the previous night or the whole day of Tuesday.

The pajamas came off, she went out, ate, and went out again.  She is scratching now so I am putting the pajamas back on. Not sure how that is going to fly since we leave for work around 9 am but she did just take a Benadryl so we will see.

Very odd.

I definitely think there is some sort of psychological component with this behavior. The pajamas swaddled her to an extent right? If she was itchy she would have scratched with them on. Maybe it is sort of a soothing technique? Human babies and children do all sorts of things to sooth themselves.

Maybe her thing is these pajamas, the compression on her body ?

Who knows but they will stay on for now and we will take it day by day changing nothing else.
MagicRe
Pugolescent
Pugolescent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:14 pm Post subject: Re: Allergies? Common and odd symptoms Reply with quote

AnnmarieDSLR wrote (View Post):
http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab63/AnnmarieDSLR/Tootsie/

Here she is - no laughing.   Smile

sorry, i cannot tell a lie...i laughed.....that is adorable..
Sampsonite
Snarfler
Snarfler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:53 pm Post subject: Re: Allergies? Common and odd symptoms Reply with quote

That is absolutely adorable!!!!! HAHA! It even says "smile" on it. SO cute!

Glad to hear that it may be a solution to the problem for now.
_____
Sampson & Delilah
View user's profile Send personal message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AnnmarieDSLR
Puglet
Puglet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:26 pm Post subject: Re: Allergies? Common and odd symptoms Reply with quote

I added a few more this morning. I also ordered proper dog clothes though I will stop at the store on my way home from work and buy real baby onsies - no legs like these pajamas have but will cover her flank and base of her tail.

I would never in a million years believe she would tolerate wearing something like this since she is so rambunctious. I figured she would try to rip it right off. But she stands stock still and lets us put it right on. She even layed on her side twice so we coud cut it to size and didn't move a muscle. Very calm.

She looks so prissy now - not the tough broad she was a few weeks ago but also not scratching, nipping and crying. Fashion is a small price to pay for comfort.

So - if this works we have gotten a bit along the path to solving the problem.

Next step is what is causing the issue and we will approach that with diet. She is staying on her current food - cod and potato - until we see if this was just a fluke.
AnnmarieDSLR
Puglet
Puglet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:15 pm Post subject: Re: Allergies? Common and odd symptoms Reply with quote

Another good night with the pink pajamas! (she now has several sets with flowers, and hearts and cherries but I will not admit to that)  

She slept until  7 am and then was a bit on the hyper side but not with an itch - more like "get this off me I gotta go NOW" sort of thing.

Still eating the cod/potato food.

The 3 times today that I removed her pajamas so she could go out she started the scooting, scratching behavior. Stopped with the pajamas on.

This is so odd. I think we will keep at it until the weekend and try to keep them off for a bit at a time. I really want to find the cause of this and if she tolerates them off a but and the only thing we had changed was her food then maybe I can surmise that was it.
AnnmarieDSLR
Puglet
Puglet

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:43 pm Post subject: Re: Allergies? Common and odd symptoms Reply with quote

Just an update: last week we took Tootsie for a followup this past Tuesday since the symptoms have not abated and on somedays are worse. She is chewing at her heel and lower leg more and more.

The doc switched her to another allergy med and we all decided it was a good idea to run an allergy panel.
They took a blood sample and will be expecting the results middle of this week.

As far as allergies go - if we had to chose one or the other (food or environmental) - I am sort of hoping it is food. Even if it is multiple foods, which the vet said is common such as wheat AND corn for example, it has to be easier to handle that environmental allergies.

The pollen here on Long Island is simply whicked right now. I can write my name in the green coating on the cars. The oaks just finished dropping those long brown casings we call wiggles and the grasses are in seed too.

We have actually been bagging the lawn clippings when we mow, instead of mulching, hoping to remove as much of the junk as possible. I washed down the sides of our home several times, have all the windows closed and locked and have been running the AC. Nothing is helping in that respect. Vacuuming has always been a daily chore so that is nothing new.

In the mean time, I guess this is for another thread but is so exciting I am posting it here for a moment, we adopted Tootsie's sister Magic.

She was Tootsie's litter mate, also a puppy mill breeder. All black with a bit of mink or sable on her flanks. Quite tiny compared to the boys and Tootsie.
No apparent allergies but just in case she is already eating the limited diet that Tootsie is eating.

Both of them are quite independent possibly from being used to lack of human attention. I am not sure but was surprised they did not fall all over themselves when they were reunited. It is still pretty new to Magic since she came to  us last night. Today is her first full day with the whole gang and she is doing very well.

A bit concerned since she seems to be drinking a lot of water, urinating frequently and is on the thin side. I am actually going to take her glucise level a bit later today and if it is out of range give the vet a call in the morning. She has an appointment for this coming Thursday for a regular exam, review of her shots and staple removal from her spay but a high glucose level will bump that up to Monday.

I am going to try an upload a picture but if it doesn't work I will upload her pic to my photobucket account :
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

[align=left]
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  Help! My Pug is . . . Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: