Top 10
Other  
    Donations
    Stories Archive

Google Ads   

From The Gallery   

Hit Counter   

Our thanks to
for keeping track of the individual number of visitors to these pages for all these years, now totalling:
since June 6, 1996. We don't count "hits" which only tell you how many graphics and files are loaded, we actually count individual visits.

Link to PugsCom   

Site Security   

You have been warned!
We have caught 1442 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)

Pugs.com :: View topic - urate stones
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your personal messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Search for at
Pugs.com Advanced Search

+
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
And we're back News and Announcements PugsCom 3 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 am
allyzabethe View latest post
Have a GREAT Puggy New Year in 2014! News and Announcements PugsCom 1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 am
allyzabethe View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
how to stop 1 yr old male from scratching my walls Puppies! Gotta Love 'Em, But . . . scottg 0 Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:06 pm
scottg View latest post
Is a PUG right for me? No Pug Yet - But Plenty of Questions! NJRonbo 12 Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:23 am
NJRonbo View latest post
Allergies Help! My Pug is . . . dphiebeatle 13 Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:19 am
joecast40 View latest post
Strawberry bump on lip Help! My Pug is . . . dvdchrisc 5 Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:10 am
Please Help Winston Walk Pug Patter Winniewiggle 2 Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:07 am

urate stones

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Pugs.com Forum Index -> Is It Genetic?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dotie
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:50 pm Post subject: urate stones Reply with quote

Our Viv had some trouble with bladder infection and then stones. She had her surgery and was spayed and is doing very well. However, the stone analysis came back as 70% urate, and the center is Struvate. My vet is befuddled as she has only seen this in Dalamations. The literature never mentions pugs. There is also concern for a liver shunt. Anyone have any pups with this?
Bethy
Pugonaire
Pugonaire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:59 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Urate stones are something I know a lot about, having bred and shown Dalmatians for 40 years. Urate stones are caused by high levels of uric acid in the blood and urine. What I have always heard is that man, the great apes and Dalmatians are the only creatures that break down proteins into uric acid. In Dalmatians this uric acid causes uric acid crystals to form in the urine, which then can clump together to form urate stones. In man and the great apes, high levels of uric acid are manifested as gout. My brother has gout, and has to take the same medication as is given to Dalmatians that are determined to be urate stone formers. This medication is Allopurinol, and keeps the urate crystals from forming in the urine, and thus prevents the stones.
In Dalmatians, urate stones are indeed inherited, and are one of the anomalies of the breed, along with the deafness we see so often in Dals, and although I am definately not a genetisist, I would imagine the propensity is also inherited to a certain extent in humans and the great apes, also.
Diet also has a lot to do with urate stone formation. Dals that produce urate crystals, must be fed a very low protein diet, and diet is also important in treatment in humans.
_____
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

Home of:
Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Wally
Champion Jellyroll Sherfame Bre-z Bea
Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Pogo
Champion Bre-z Manor's Frozen Assets
Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Jolly
Jellyroll Bre-z Sparkle"N"Bling....AKC major pointed
Rose's Serendipity, and Rose's Licker-ish our new show prospects
thepugboys
Pug
Pug

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:09 am Post subject: bladder stones, liver shunt Reply with quote

I'm afraid that your pub may have a liver shunt. Have your vet do a pre and post fast bile acid test. This test will give valuable information about how the liver is functioning. My 6 year old pug was dignoised with this in July.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Pugs.com Forum Index ->  Is It Genetic? Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: